recommended distro for LAMP server

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Samo_A86, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Samo_A86

Samo_A86 New Member

I really like your HOWTOs. I've installed a few servers with them but they were all on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and 16.04 LTS. Now I wonder is Ubuntu really the best (simplest vs. reliable) linux distro for LAMP servers with your CP?
    In this article they say that Ubuntu is the best but I would like to know from your experience what do you recommend?
    firebearstudio.com/blog/10-reliable-linux-server-distributions-and-lamp-lemp-stack-manuals.html
    I've only used Ubuntu and CentOS 7, but CentOS only for a headless KVM-QEMU server for VMs.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess choosing a Linux distribution for LAMP is more a personal preference on what you like as a simple LAMP stack consisting of Apache, PHP, and MySQL or MariaDB without any additional software should work fine on all widely used distributions. Using a Ubuntu LTS release is a good choice in my opinion, personally, I prefer Debian over Ubuntu though.

Samo_A86 likes this.
  3. Samo_A86

Samo_A86 New Member

Thanks for the reply Till. I've thought about Debian but I read that it is outdated. But on the other hand I read that it is more stable than Ubuntu. But I know that Ubuntu uses Debian kernels (or something like that). It was simple to use the multiserver, roundcube howtos for Debian on Ubuntu 14.04.
    So has Debian any real advantages or is it just a personal choice?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Why shall Debian be outdated? Debian is the source of Ubuntu, so almost all packages that you see in Ubuntu are directly from Debian.

5. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

debian is an old system, kinda true, but it also relaxes workload - you don't need to figure what changed so often. Most software does receive important security fixes ( don't think that LTS means all software will be secure or something like that, as if RedHat gives a dime on 10 year old php for example, if there's no preassure ).

Ubuntu is kind of a fork of debian with some stuff changed, more recent software versions and ore and more own customized stuff, few does make it back to debian somehow ^^

however depending on your needs choose wisely, ubuntu can be a pain in the ass, so can debian - you should try both fore a while and stick to whatever you like :)

Sometimes it's good to have "old" and "known" software - sometimes you want to try bleeding edge and risk failures... the choice is yours :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  6. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Just sharing my thoughts in here, I am using Ubuntu because its easier in some ways especially in installation and surely not because it is better. It is also the closest thing to the original debian that ISPConfig developers are using. I am may be just lazy or have no time to explore and learn others too. My recommendation, use what the developers are using or stay close to it though other distros are supported. But if you are already expert in other distro(s), you may want to stick to it to save you time in troubleshooting later on. ;)

7. HSorgYves

HSorgYves Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I prefer stability of newest packages, so I personally prefer Debian over Ubuntu.