Recommended OS

Discussion in 'General' started by brianetilley, Nov 24, 2005.

1. brianetilley

brianetilley New Member

Hi,

Just wondering if there is a 'best' flavour of Linux to run on a production server configured with ISPConfig? I would like a minimal and very secure environment. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks...

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'd recommend DEBIAN Sarge.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Debian Sarge!:)

4. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

Why Debian Sarge vs. Ubuntu Hoary or Breezy

I followed and installed using the "Hoary" how to, which by the way is great, thanks loads for your good work! This is not a production server, I am doing this as a learning experience. I also have a server running Fedora Core 1 and a workstation that I dual boot Mandrake 10.1 and W2K. So I have some familiarity with linux but am really just a newbie. I have considered installing one of the Ubuntu distros as a desktop system also.

To continue with this thread why Sarge and if someone wanted to stay Ubuntu any difference from your perspective between "Hoary Hedgehog" and "Breezy Badger"?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I have recommended Sarge baecause i have good experiences with DEBIAN the last years. Ubuntu is a DEBIAN derivate, but as a server i will use the most stable platform and DEBIAN is proven to be very stable.

If you want to use Ubuntu, i recommend the latest version, because it has a server mode and the latest packages.

6. crudolphy

crudolphy New Member

Thanks for your opinion. Nothing speaks louder than good experience. I think I will take your advice and redo my setup with Debian "Sarge".

Vielen Dank für Ihre harte Arbeit.:)