Recommended way to run a manual backup on multi-server setup

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Stelios, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all,

There was a failure to mount a storage earlier and the reason were that a backup was stored the day before to the local path instead of the remote.
    I'll have to dig into this.
    Anyway, I want to get a manual backup of all web/db/email servers. What is the recommended way/command to run in order to mount my /var/backup (there is the entry in fstab) and execute the backup as usual.
    Would it be possible to run it to the master server only or it has to be run on each server that I want to backup?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You can make a manual backup of web and db now (via gui or backup-now.php script); not so for email, you'll have to run the actual backup cronjob (500-backup_mail.inc.php) for that. I believe you just need to run it on the slave servers, not the master, but haven't actually tested that.

3. Stelios

It will be a great feature to be able to run manual the backup from the master server. Via GUI is not so useful when you have many web site to backup.

4. Stelios

@Jesse Norell is not clear to me how to run it. If I use php /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/classes/cron.d/500-backup_mail.inc.php it doesn't work; it just throws an error.
    Also manual backup is not an option as there are too many sites to do it manually. Isn't it any other option from terminal?

5. Stelios

Further to my post above the /usr/local/ispconfig/server/backup-now.php doesn't seem to take an argument to get all backups. It ask specific id.

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you want to make a backup of all of them, you will need to do this manually from the CLI - there is no built in function for this in ISPConfig (yet), so you would have to do this on every server.

Why do you want this? Maybe we can find an alternative?

7. Stelios

Thom, I'm asking the same, how can I make them from the cli? All of them, not per id as there are many domains.
    I want to get the backups as I don't have yesterday's backup due to the problem with the remote storage.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no such function yet as Thom mentioned already.

9. Stelios

@till is there a way to force the backup/script/routine to run again as it is scheduled to run via cron?

10. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You could run the backup cronjob with
    Code:
    php /usr/local/ispconfig/server/cron_debug.php --cronjob=500-backup.inc.php

Stelios likes this.