Recommended Ways to Use Web Address

Discussion in 'General' started by kendel, Oct 28, 2010.

1. kendel

kendel New Member

What is the recommended way to acccess ISPCOnfig 3 over the web.
    As of right now I simply have my web address forward to port 8080 through my router setting... Example: www.example.com:8080

I saw a guide to change it to port 80 but because I have a few websites on my server I didn't want to attempt anything too big and mess anything up..

Is it possible to have ISPConfig with a web address of ispconfig.example.com or something along those lines?

Or is there another recommendation?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that is possible. But you cannot use port 80 because the ISPConfig vhost is a CatchAll vhost (i.e., your web sites wouldn't be accessible anymore). If you just want to run a mail server, that would be fine, but if you want to manage web sites through ISPConfig, then this doesn't work.

3. kendel

kendel New Member

I am currently managing websites... What would be the better solution? I curently use port forwarding to 8080 to get to ispconfig

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The best option is to go with the standards and use port 8080 for ISPConfig.

5. kendel

kendel New Member

Ok thank you... Last question... does ISPConfig support a Joomla installation in the web folder of any website?

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sure. You can install any php based web application or cms system into a wesbite.