recreating e-mail account problem

Discussion in 'General' started by [email protected]., Jun 25, 2006.

1. david.hopper@datelnet.co.

[email protected]. New Member

I have had problems reciving e-mail to one of a users e-mail accounts - [email protected] - I deleted the e-mail account and tried to recreate it, but I get an error message that says the account and e-mail address already exist.

How do I overcome this problem ?

2. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Make sure after you delete the email address you empty the recycle bin and then wait a minute or two and then try to create the email account.

Thanks

3. david.hopper@datelnet.co.

Not Receiving E-mail - Only affecting one account

Thank you for your quick reponse - this worked. I do however have another problem that is related. I have recreated the support@ e-mail account, but am not receiving any e-mail to this account. I can however receive e-mail at all other accounts for the same domain with no problems. any ideas ?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Is the email address listed in /etc/postfix/virtusertable? Any errors in /var/log/mail.log?

5. david.hopper@datelnet.co.

unfortunatley I am not in the same location as the server currently and my linux knowledge is limited as I am a windows engineer. Am I able to access these via the ISPConfig web interface? or is there another way I can remotley access them ? rgds

6. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

I know how you feel going from windows to unix systems is a big knowledge step. What I did was set up ssh so that you can securly telnet onto the unix box and run command line tools, but that would only solve half you problem trying to post the output onto this forum can get messy.

Hope this helps.

7. david.hopper@datelnet.co.

thx for your response ...I'll do this in the morning when I get into the office and get back to you with the information requested ...

8. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

The only thing that I can find in the log that looks at all like an error is

Jun 26 05:19:45 linuxhost postfix/local[19658]: 27A344D400E9: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent (delivered to mailbox)

Is the above what I should expect to see.

To comfirm that in the virtusertable, the email address is present.

Thanks

9. falko

Do you have two usernames in this forum (Lee.Copper/[email protected].)?

There's no error, the mail has been delivered to root's mailbox.

What's in /etc/aliases?

10. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

In etc/aliases I have the following entry

Support: postmaster

There is other entries but I guess you are interested in this one.

11. falko

I guess you also have
    Code:
    postmaster: root
    in /etc/aliases? That means that emails for the user support go to root. Comment out the support line in /etc/aliases, run
    Code:
    newaliases
    and restart Postfix.

12. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

My boss is David Hopper, and I am his employee.

13. Lee.Copper

Lee.Copper New Member

That fixed the problem. Thanks for all your assistance with this.