Red5 install on ispconfig2

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by Turbanator, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Turbanator

Turbanator Member HowtoForge Supporter

Just wondering if there are any tricks needed to install red5 on a server with ispconfig2. I'm on fedora 9 ispconfig 2. I've seen an install on debian but it shows demos on a default folder...just wondering if the install will screw up anything.

OR

if anybody has a simple install guide.

I didn't see anything in the HOWTO's so I came here.
    For those who are curious, Red5 is for realtime streaming of video.

TIA.

2. Federico Zurro

Federico Zurro New Member

Hi,

I use red5 with ispconfig2. Both applications can live together perfectly (as far as I can see)

Of course, nothing can be installed 'per customer'. I have a red5 application that will be shared between all my customers (or at least that is the plan once I go live)

3. Turbanator

Thank ou very much for the reply. If I may ask, what distro are you running? This is for my personal server/sites so I have no problem with "sharing" and installs.

My only real concern is hardware requirements during the live streaming, I want to make sure my other sites don't suffer while the red5 is doing it's thing.

4. Federico Zurro

I'm using Fedora 11. So far I only have it running on my own VMWARE image (1GB ram Athlon XP site).

Install wise, There is nothing special really. I have only followed the install for the software I'm using (I'm using openmeetings http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/). It comes with it's own red5 application, Just need to update a few config files, add it as a service and you are set.

I am also worried about hardware requirements and I will not be sure 'till I get my trial system up and running (couple of months from now). I can tell you that it was almost non existant on my system with 5-10 users connected to the conference system.

I have an issue with red5 though. That is to monitor the bandwith used for streaming (as it is not logged on the web logs). I have checked real-time stats and was not using much (at least for my application) but I am still concerned about bigger usage

5. Turbanator

openmeetings looks very cool. I really like dimdim.com as well.

I'm looking to do live streaming from one location into my server and out to about 50 people at 1 time but in decent quality for training purposes. I'm running fedora 9 x64 right now.

Not sure the best way to monitor the usage other than on your firewall/router itself. I know smoothwall 3 has built in realtime stats but since you're on a VM you should be able to find a stats program for your host computer and it can give network traf stats...windows has it built in just to see whats going on (go to task manager) but it's nothing special (of course this is assuming your have a windows host). And if you VM is dedicated to this, I think ntop can give you bandwidth usage while your server is running.

6. Federico Zurro

DimDim is nice but for 50 people is not going to be free but it's not hosted by you so no need to worry about bandwidth or cpu usage(free up to 10 or 20 I think)

50 people shouldn't be an issue. Conference mode is not going to use much bandwidth As for quality, you can change the stream 'bandwith' settings on the config files. If you go for openmeetings let me know and I'll try to help you.

here is a link for openmeetings/red5 bandwidth

http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/wiki/BandwidthNetworkSettings

I'm using vmware now, but once I go 'live' I won't be using it. It will be a VPS on fedora 11 (xen).

I guess I'll have to talk to the hosting company or something for this. They'll be monitoring the bandwith anyway (hehe)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  7. Turbanator

actually dimdim open source (community) is unlimited and it has a cool shared browser feature.

I think I'll check out openmeetings though if I can get teh streaming quality better. I'll see about setting this up in a VM this week. Thanx for the info and the offer to help....I'm sure I'll be posting a question or two for you.

I hope the config can change from 16Kb to something like 512kb for the stream per user otherwise it may not work for me.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  8. Federico Zurro

Once you have it up and running check the following settings:

yourred5install/webapps/openmeetings/config.xml

<!--
    #############################################################################
    Audio and Video Settings
    Before you change settings here,
    you should first Play and learn how the Settings work in the Documentation:
    http://code.google.com/p/openmeetings/wiki/AudioVideoTestingApplication
    #############################################################################
    -->

<!-- Camera Settings for the FramesPerSecond

fps:Number [optional] - The requested rate at which the camera should capture
    data, in frames per second. The default value is 15.
    -->
    <framesPerSecond>30</framesPerSecond>

<!-- Camera Settings for the Bandwidth:

bandwidth:Number [optional] - An integer that specifies the maximum amount
    of bandwidth that the current outgoing video feed can use, in bytes per second.
    To specify that Flash video can use as much bandwidth as needed to maintain
    the value of frameQuality, pass 0 for bandwidth. The default value is 16384.
    -->
    <!-- These are the settings for the Quality-Modus *normal*
    The Quality-Modus can be chosen in the Login-Box -->
    <bandwidthNeededNormal>16384</bandwidthNeededNormal>
    <!-- These are the settings for the Quality-Modus *best* -->
    <bandwidthNeededBest>49152</bandwidthNeededBest>

<!-- Camera Settings for the Quality

quality:Number [optional] - An integer that specifies the required level of
    picture quality, as determined by the amount of compression being applied to
    each video frame. Acceptable values range from 1 (lowest quality, maximum
    compression) to 100 (highest quality, no compression). To specify that picture
    quality can vary as needed to avoid exceeding bandwidth, pass 0 for quality.
    The default value is 0.
    -->
    <!-- These are the settings for the Quality-Modus *normal* -->
    <camQualityNormal>85</camQualityNormal>
    <!-- These are the settings for the Quality-Modus *best* -->
    <camQualityBest>90</camQualityBest>

<!-- Microphone Settings for the Rate:

rate:Number -
    The rate at which the microphone should capture sound, in kHz.
    Acceptable values are 5, 8, 11, 22, and 44.
    The default value is 8 kHz if your sound capture
    device supports this value. Otherwise, the default value
    is the next available capture level above 8 kHz that your sound
    capture device supports, usually 11 kHz.
    -->
    <!-- Quality-Modus *normal* -->
    <microphoneRateNormal>22</microphoneRateNormal>
    <!-- Microphone Settings Quality-Modus *best* -->
    <microphoneRateBest>44</microphoneRateBest>

There is also a way to overwrite the output of the stream (not documented). You can maximize your own video on the room, Leave the room and go back and it streams it at the quality needed for that size (haven't tried that myself)