Redirecting to another webserver

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by derilium, Sep 12, 2005.

1. derilium

derilium New Member

Hi there, yet another new person to linux and i have to say ISPConfig is excellent and made my life very easy, one question though... i have another webserver on my lan and i would like to access it from the internet, currently ispconfig is setup as my default, what would i need to do so that a request for a domain could be sent to my other webserver? if you can help it would be greatly appreciated....p.s appologies now, i've been brought up on windows, linux is very new to me...

2. domino

domino New Member

You would have to get over a few hurdles to do this. I haven't actually tried to run multi-servers in a single network. One thing you would have to consider is that the server you are running ISPC on is taking requests from port 80. That means your other server will need to take requests from a different port. It can not be port 81 because ISPC uses port 81, unless you change the port where ISPC listens to.

Thats where you router comes into play. You need to forward requests to and from ISPC server 1 and also server 2. For my own home network config, I have my router forward port 80 to the Linux server. In order for my second server to take requests, I would have to forward the requests to server 2 on port 8080.

It would be allot more simple IF I had 2 different IP leases though :). You would have more room to work with if I had more than 1 IP address on my DSL modem. Of course, your scenario would be different. It all depends on your network setup.

PS. With some searching and researching, I'm sure there are other ways around it. But from what I wanted to do, forwarding the IP address from the registrar to a multi-IP home network would be the easiest but not necessarily the cheapest.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2005
  3. derilium

derilium New Member

Hi Domino, thanks for the help... i may have to look into that, it seems another alternative is to reverse proxy, by using apache on another pc or squid, have you heard of anyone having any luck with this scenario or am i barking up the wrong tree?

4. domino

domino New Member

I have never actually had the opportunity to use squid. Another way you might be able to work with it is if your router supports NAT (network address translation). You might have to muck with NAT a few times to get it to do what you want. But I'm assuming it would be much simpler than tinkering with squid. :D

5. farao

farao New Member

You can also use Pound as a means to redirect traffic based on hostnames. Check out Apsis website, and see what it can do for you.
    Apsis states they don't fancy doing virtual hosting in Pound, but if you need to reroute traffic for a certain domain to a different IP on another machine, it works. All traffic runs through the main server, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem on low-traffic sites...

Best, Farao

6. domino

domino New Member

Nice info farao. Thanks!