Redirection Help

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by conductive, Apr 9, 2020.

1. conductive

conductive Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am running the Perfect Debian Server and need help with redirection.
    I have several domains MyDomain.com, MyDomain1.com, Mydomain2.com....etc. many of which simply use the same wordpress web content as placeholders and as a good backup and test bed. This has served me well for many years but is no longer working with Google SEO.

What is the best way to simply redirect domains to MyDomain.com? Placing <link rel="canonical" href="https://MyDomain.com" /> will be problematic in wordpress and maintenance intensive.

Thanks for the help

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I assume you are using ISPConfig. Have you tried Alias domain, and set SEO redirect for suitable value?

3. conductive

Thanks for your reply..
    Yes I am using ISP Config.
    I just I went into Sites > MyDomain2.com > ReDirect and added:
    Redirect(Permanent)
    Path (MyDomain.com
    SEO (* ==> MyDomain.com)
    And it appears to be working at this point.

Am I better off doing this under Alias Domain?? or what is the difference?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The benefit of using an alias domain is that it's less config overhead on the server as the alias domain belongs to the website and is configured inside the host file of the main website.

5. conductive

I could make the site redirect to work but can not get the aliasdomain redirect to work.
    Domain: RedirectedDomain.com
    Parent Website: MyDomain.com:server1.MyDomain.com
    Redirect Path: https://Mydomain.com
    Auto Subdomain: None
    SEO Redirect: *=>domain.tld
    Active

6. till

You don't have to choose any seo redirect or s et a redirect path in the alias domain as you have set a SEO (* ==> MyDomain.com) in the website already. Just add the alias domain without any redirect.

7. conductive

Thanks for the reply.
    Unfortunately I am still not getting this concept.

Alias Domain
    Domain: DomainToBeRedirected.com
    Parent Website: MyDomain.com
    Redirect Type: None
    Redirect Path: https://MyDomain.com
    Auto-SubDomain: None
    SEO Redirect: None
    Active
    -------------
    Web Domain > Redirect
    Redirect Type: None
    Redirect Path:
    SEO Redirect: *=>domain.tld

This isn't working

8. till

Which page do you get when you enter DomainToBeRedirected.com in the browser?

9. conductive

I get DomainToBeRedirected.com when I want to be redirected to MyDomain.com

10. till

Do you see the content of mydomain.com or not?

11. conductive

Not as far as I know. The content is identical. It still shows url DomainToBeRedirected.com and I want it to be showing MyDomain.com so that I can make Google canonically happy.

12. till

If it shows different content then the domain either points to a different server, wrong dns, or you still have a website for that domain and not just the alias or something similar, as a alias domain of a website always shows the content of the website where it is an alias for. The only thing that differs, depending on the redirect, is which domain name appears in the URL bar of the browser.

13. conductive

Ok, I guess I was not understanding what a Domain alias was and was thinking fore about a redirect. Ultimately I have a Google SEO problem and they were knocking me down because I had multiple domains with the same content. All I want to do is make Google happy. I think the site redirect was working but may not be the best way to handle the problem.

So the question is what is the best setup to avoid Google randomly selecting pages on different domains and killing your seo.

14. till

1) Create one main website, which holds the actual content. Take care to select *=>domain.tld as SEO redirect in the website settings.
    2) Add all other domains as alias domains. A redirect setting is not necessary as the SEO redirect on the main domain will redirect all requests to the main domain.

This setup ensures that google receives a 301 redirect for all traffic coming from alias domains, so no duplicate content problem arises.

15. conductive

I was not able to add an aliasdomain for all of my domains. I kept getting:

"There is already a website or sub / aliasdomain with this domain name."

I did have a few sub domains but there were many that did not have subdomain and still generated this error preventing me from adding the aliasdomain.

16. till

You must delete the website with the same domain name before adding an alias domain.