Regarding "Fedora 8 Server Setup" article and static IP

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by infinite15, Feb 6, 2008.

1. infinite15

infinite15 New Member

I am attempting to set up the server at the moment, but I have a question before I begin about the network addresses used in the example. I am trying to set my server up behind a router and cable modem service. I don't have a static IP from my ISP and I'm trying to find a way to set one up for free. I'm going to register a domain name, but does that mean it is the name I should put in for the hostname (www.example.com)? But then I need to get a something that will update the IP address with where I register my domain if I'm unable to get a static IP from my ISP? And I should contact my ISP for DNS servers or can I just use the ones from article? And lastly how can I determine what gateway and netmask address I should be using? If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

2. thecaoticone

thecaoticone New Member

If your ISP does not issue static IP's, the you can use a service like: /http://www.dyndns.com or http://www.ods.org

dydns.com is free if you use one of their domains while ods.org charges 5.00 / yr for one of theirs.

For custom domains ods.org is like 20.00 / yr for dns and 45.00 / yr for dns and domain registration.

for dydns.com it's like 27.50 and 42.50

As for the server name, when you register a domain name it will be something like domain.org

So your server hostname would be server.domain.org

The gateway and netmask should be the same as you are using now.
    If you have a personal router, you will need to set your router to forward the correct ports. My router has a setting called "Virtual Servers" where this is done.

You will need to know if your ISP is blocking the needed ports. If they have a policy against running servers, they probably will block them at the their router / modem.

3. infinite15

infinite15 New Member

Thanks for the help. I will definitely give that a try. Thanks for clearing this up a lot for me. I'll give it a try before contacting my ISP. They aren't the most helpful bunch and to get a static IP from them costs almost a 100 bucks a month. Insane.

4. infinite15

infinite15 New Member

problem with mysql password setup

I am working on step 11 for MySQL setup. It won't let me set a password using the command

mysqladmin -u root password mypassword

It fails to connect to server at localhost and denies access for user root. I was wondering if it could have anything to do with the first part of my setup. I didn't use a static IP because I signed up for the update service on dynDNS and planned to install that software to keep the DNS server updated. So I have the dynamic IP selected when I installed fedora and was not able to enter a gateway or subnet as in the example and my hostname is different as I now own a domain and used server.mydomain.com. I ran netstat -tap and don't see any connection problems except that my hostname is not listed, only localhost6.localdoma:domain. Any ideas would be appreciated.

5. thecaoticone

thecaoticone New Member

Are you going from the server into a router then into a modem?

Or from the server straight to the modem?

Is the router one that you bought or the ISP porvided?

If you bought the router what is the make and model?

6. infinite15

infinite15 New Member

Yes - server, router, modem

It is a Belkin Wireless G plus MIMO Router
    M/N - F5D9230-4

here is the product support page if you need to look at anything

http://www.belkin.com/support/product/?lid=en&pid=F5D9230-4

7. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What are the outputs of
    Code:
    netstat -tap