Reinstalling ISPConfig and trying to minimise downtime

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ashleykaryl, Sep 24, 2010.

1. ashleykaryl

ashleykaryl New Member

I have been experiencing some problems with ISPConfig 3 as detailed in another thread and we have been unable to find a solution.

The new server manager intends to do a reinstall over the weekend but I wanted to ask what we can do to minimise any downtime? Is there a way to maintain the existing entries such as email addresses and domains etc.? What about the DNS settings for those domains?

I shall ask the new server manager to follow the guides and hopefully there will be no more problems.

Thanks

Ashley

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you do a reinstall from scratch, you should make a backup of the ISPConfig database before and also of the /var and /etc directories and then restore the backups after you've installed the new server and ISPConfig.

3. ashleykaryl

ashleykaryl New Member

Thanks for your reply Falko; we had actually completed the process by the time you answered and now have everything sorted. There was very little downtime but many hours were spent trying to fix the original PHP issue that necessitated the change. I don't why on earth it was so tricky to set up but it's done now and all working very well. Everything is running smoothly and very fast :)