Relay issues (Again)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by TinkerAllison, Apr 2, 2007.

1. TinkerAllison

TinkerAllison New Member

I thought that I had my relay server working, but all that it did was queue the messages. I get a message in the log that says that the connection to my relay host timed out. I thought that it was probably a port issue. I'm not sure that ATT will allow me to send on port 25, so I changed the port to 2525 in main.cf. the relayhost line reads relayhost = outbound.mailhop.org:2525. Now I'm back to getting a message that says that I need to authenticate to the relay server. I have deleted the sasl_passwd.db file and ran portmap hash:/etc/postfix/sasl_passwd to recreate the db file. I'm still getting the 550 error on all outbound messages. Any suggestions on what to look at next? :confused:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

3. TinkerAllison

TinkerAllison New Member

Yes to the first question and not to the second.

I used the tutorial, however it does not address the port issue. I have found post that say that the port should be added after the domain in the main.cf ie. 'relayhost = outbound.mailhop.org:2525' and I have found post that say the port should be added in the sasl_passwd file. the first makes more sence to me, but the error messages are the same either way. without the port (in either file) I get a time out, with the port (again in either file) I get a failure to auth message.

I have not asked ATT about port 25, however I think that I should be able to change the port wether I need to or not. I'm being hard headed, but I need to learn how to do this and the server is not critical at this point.

Falko, I really appriciate your help and patients on this.

Regards!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Have you tried to append the port in both files at the same time?

You really should ask them if and which ports they block.

5. TinkerAllison

TinkerAllison New Member

Just one of those things

Falko, again I would like to thank you for your patience on this. I know that I have asked a lot of question trying to figure out the best way to set this server up.

Last night I started from scratch and reloaded the server. almost everything seams to be working fine. I have a spam problem now that I did not have be for so I'll need to review the main.cf line by line to find my type-o. The strange thing is that when I compare my old main.cf to the current file, they are identical. And now I am sending mail out with out the relayhost. Not sure why. The only thing that i can figure is that I did something wrong in the initial load.

(Should I post this in the ISPConfig forum?) Moving on, in this load I got an error when I loaded proftp and went on with the install thinking that I would go back to it before I installed ISPConfig. But I forgot. The ISPConfgi install went fine and it asked which ftp server to use and I selected proftp. The ftp server is installed and running, however ISPConfig does not recognise it. Is there an easy way to fix this, or do I need to uninstall ISPConfig and reinstall it?

Regards,
    Tinker

Last edited: Apr 4, 2007
  6. TinkerAllison

TinkerAllison New Member

ProFTPD issue resolved

I found a post that helped me resolve the ProFTPD issue and everything is working fine now.