Reliable PCI wired LAN card for Debian Lenny

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by counterpoint, Oct 2, 2010.

1. counterpoint

counterpoint New Member

Seems a simple question, but I'm not finding anything in quite a lot of Googling!

What PCI LAN card (wired) can I use to get reliable networking using standard Debian Lenny AMD 64 bit?

Neither the on-board Via VT6105 nor the added D-Link DFE-530TX (Realtek RTL8111) works, thus preventing a network install, or any updates from the internet. (Both cards work with an Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit Live CD).

Given the cost of NICs I'd rather replace the PCI LAN card than spend a load of time attempting to install different drivers etc. And I don't care too much about performance, since this interface will connect only to the internet. Just want it to work.

Is there a readily available card that will just work?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think an RTL 8139 should work out of the box.

3. counterpoint

counterpoint New Member

Thanks - how do I translate that into something I can buy and install into a computer?

4. counterpoint

counterpoint New Member

Well, for the record, I'll reply to my own question.

I found that the Intel Pro/1000 GT PCI card worked fine with a fresh install of Debian. It is Intel order code PWLA8391GT.

It was purchased on eBay at quite low cost. I suspect that the earlier Intel Pro/100 would also work straight away.

Thanks for the chipset suggestion, but it is hard work finding out which actual cards are available for a particular chipset.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010