Rename ispconfig server after migration?

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Yel4144, Apr 2, 2024.

1. Yel4144

Yel4144 New Member

Is it possible to migrate an ISPC server to new hardware using a new domain name and then rename it back to the old name (with new IP)?
    Goald would be that customers can use same old SMTP settings as before (DNS for ISPC and hosted Domains managed external)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's possible and not even related to the migration tool, you can always change the name of any Linux server at any time. But why not use the same name instead and let the migration tool connect to the IP address.

3. Yel4144

Yel4144 New Member

I don't understand: I have to set up ISPC on the new server with a new name (different IP) let say new.myserver.com. Then migrate config.myserver.com to new.myserver.com. Can the migration tool handle the rename of the new server? Will I be prompted to adjust IP (Main DNS is external)

Otherwhise my plan was to do the migration to the new server. Afterwards I will change the IP of myserver.com to the new IP and the old server to old.myserver.com
    Is it sufficient to rename the server under Settings to 'myserver.com' and all settings behind (vHost, DNS, SSL, Apache-Config, mail etc) will be automatically changed?

4. till

Renaming of the server is not related to the Migration Tool. if you want to rename a Linux server, you change the hostname in the files /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname, /etc/hosts and /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart the server.

5. Yel4144

Yel4144 New Member

Thank you very much for the info. I will proceed with the migration and then rename the servers according your recommendation.

6. Yel4144

Yel4144 New Member

Sorry again... I did a dry-run and found out that I missed the part with the certbot/acme client while installing the new server:
    What is the best action to adjust the letsencrypt client?

7. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do a complete reinstall of the target server with the AI and specify the client you want to use in the AI arguments. That's the safest way. Or do not copy over certificates and re-issue them for your sites after migration (if it's 20 or sites or less that'd be fine for sure...)

Yel4144 likes this.
  8. Yel4144

Yel4144 New Member

I only had a few domains, so I decided to do the migration. Now I have issues issuing the new certs for the hosted Domains:
    - I've changed the IPs to point to the new server.
    - I've made sure that the ISPC DNS entries point to the new server (was not replaced)
    - I've tried to dis- and enable Letscencrypt. This it only worked for the old ISP servername (new name is myserver.domain.com, new name is newserver.domain.com, but for all other Domains SSL and letsencrypt just gets disabled
    I cannot find a log (Let'sencrypt log in IPS Panel shows entries from midnight, same as in /var/log/ispconfig/acme.log)
    I also tried to delete and recreate a domain, but there the SSL/Letsencrypt-Entries got disabled.
    1. How do I issue the certs?
    2. When the certs got issued are these steps still needed to get Mail also secured? https://www.howtoforge.com/securing...server-with-a-valid-lets-encrypt-certificate/

9. till

10. till

11. Yel4144

Yel4144 New Member

Also for the additional domains?

12. Yel4144

Yel4144 New Member

It works! Thank you very mutch!!!
    It seems point 4 'Skip Letsencrypt Check' did block it. I don't understand why: ISPC is the only firewall...

13. till

The ISPConfig firewall does not block it. Most likely your server is behind a NAT router and this router blocks requests from your server to the domain that shall get a LE cert therefore, ISPConfig can not test it due to the blocked connection.

14. till

ISPConfig creates a central SSL cert for the hostname only, this does not include any additional domains. If you want to have a different SSL cert, then you must create and manage it on your own or by using the SSL cert of a website.