Replace Courier-Imap with Dovecot?

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by iyeat, May 23, 2008.

1. iyeat

iyeat New Member

All,

I've had big problems with courier-imap on my server (following this guide ) and need to find an alternative.

Courier-imap is just not reliable enough in my setup. My clients are almost exclusively imap users. When courier-imap starts up, it works as expected. However, within a short time (2 hours to 2 days), imap requests start to timeout, and the daemon stops responding. The only course of action is to restart the daemon.

I've attempted to troubleshoot, but found very little help anywhere. The problem appears to be due to excessive CLOSE_WAITs taking up all of my available connections. My config is set to 400 max connections even though I've only got about 20 mail users on my server. (related thread here)

I need to replace courier with a mail server that works, switch to a 3rd party provider for mail, or figure out how to fix courier.

Of course I'd rather fix courier, but at this point I'm ready to replace it.. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Caio

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You could try dovecot, but I'm not sure how to configure it to work with your setup... :eek: