[Request] Changeable Web-Mail Client

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Quaxth, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

There 2 different Web-Mail Clients (or even more) available for ISPConfig 3:
    • SquirrelMail
    • Roundcube

Both them may have their own advantages. For my part, I missing the Read Receipt in Roundcube. As both are working fine in ISPConfig 3.0.53 it would be a good idea for to be able to change the Web-Mail Client "on the fly", that special for the Users Client's.

Thanks.

2. Feanwulf

Feanwulf New Member

Hi,

I am using roundcubemail myself. In order to get it run i deleted the symbolic link "webmail" that is pointing to /usr/share/squirrelmail/

Afterwards I installed my roundcube under /var/www/roundcubemail and created a new symbolic link "webmail" pointing to /var/www/roundcubemail
    finally I edited the configuration file of roundcubemail

Roundcubemail is working like a charm ;)

For users that still want squirrelmail I did create "webmail.squirrel" pointing to /usr/share/squirrelmail/

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Use both MailClients

You could also use both MailClients with an little change in the .conf files of SquirrelMail and Roundcube in /etc/apache2/conf.d/

I added a new Alias for SquirrelMail as sqmail and Roundcube as rcmail:

squirrelmail.conf (on top of the file):
    Code:
    Alias /squirrelmail /usr/share/squirrelmail
    Alias /sqmail /usr/share/squirrelmail
    Alias /webmail /usr/share/squirrelmail
    and roundcube 9on top of the file):
    Code:
    # Those aliases do not work properly with several hosts on your apache server
    # Uncomment them to use it or adapt them to your configuration
    Alias /roundcube/program/js/tiny_mce/ /usr/share/tinymce/www/
    Alias /roundcube /var/lib/roundcube
    Alias /rcmail /var/lib/roundcube
    Alias /webmail /var/lib/roundcube
    After done that restart Apache: /etc/init.d/apache restart

Now you could start either Mail Client using the alias as this: http://mydomain.com/sqmail or http://mydomainm.com/rcmail

What name would/should be used for the Alias is entirely up to the user.

4. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Personally I like the layout of Roundcube more than SquirrelMail. On the other hand SqirrelMail is more useful for me because it has the advantage to ask for an Delivery and Read receipt!

And one more thing: using the add of Alias for both, has the advantage for your Clients to be able to chose which Mail Client they would like to use because both are working Server wide.

5. Horfic

Horfic Member

Roundcube got Return receipt and Delivery status notification too, its in the compose window under option arrow pointing down.

6. orasis

orasis Member

A 'Return receipt' is almost always useless once for many years now, most client software and users have this disabled. It is similar to SMS reports that never work.

7. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Honest people would accept that request! As long as the users are honest, those features will work as requested.

8. orasis

orasis Member

I has nothing to do with honesty.
    Most of the times such a feature is considered more of a 'spy' feature than anything else. That is why it has never succeeded with SMSs as well.

I am jsut describing what is happening in reality and not criticizing it from my own point of view, which is irrelevant to the subject.

9. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

It has to do with honesty of using!

There still a lot of e-mail clients, which having that feature and in all I know, that feature works very well which could not said about those who using that feature, or didn't!:rolleyes: