RESOLVED: Joomla TMP Directory not Writeable or Wrong Path (Debian 9/Joomla 3.74)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Indieben, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Indieben

Indieben Member

Hello,

I'm in the process of moving a Joomla install over from a Debian 8 ISPConfig3 Server to a Debian 9 clean ISPConfig3 install on a new server and i've had a bit of a tidy up in how I have things set up.

I came to do an update of the Joomla website on the new install and it told me that the /tmp/ directory was not writeable with quite a bit of nasty complaining:

Code:
    Warning: is_file(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/logs/joomla_update.php) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web3/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/tmp:/var/www/garethbaileygroup.com/web:/srv/www/garethbaileygroup.com/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin:/dev/random:/dev/urandom) in /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/libraries/joomla/filesystem/file.php on line 630

Warning: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web1/web) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web3/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/tmp:/var/www/garethbaileygroup.com/web:/srv/www/garethbaileygroup.com/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin:/dev/random:/dev/urandom) in /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/libraries/joomla/filesystem/folder.php on line 479

Warning: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/clients/client1/web1) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/clients/client1/web3/web:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/private:/var/www/clients/client1/web3/tmp:/var/www/garethbaileygroup.com/web:/srv/www/garethbaileygroup.com/web:/usr/share/php5:/usr/share/php:/tmp:/usr/share/phpmyadmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin:/dev/random:/dev/urandom) in /var/www/clients/client1/web3/web/libraries/joomla/filesystem/folder.php on line 479
    The currently set paths are:
    public $log_path = '/var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/logs';
    public $tmp_path = '/var/www/clients/client1/web1/web/tmp';

I'm currently using the host file on my laptop - 192.168.1.176 www.website.com in order to access the new version of the website. I'm not sure if this matters? Also, i've moved from PHP 5.4 to PHP 7 but I don't think that will matter terribly.

My Questions are:

1) How do I check the correct directory path that I should be putting into the Joomla configuration.php file?

2) Does this require messing with permissions, if so, how do I go about this as I really struggle - last time I got this wrong I couldn't access the website via FTP so i'm keen not to make a "pigs ear" of it this time!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  2. Indieben

Indieben Member

OK with some kindly help, I've managed to fix this. The answer for those of you who come across this problem is to take the "allowed path" (that's the second part of each line of the code/debug above and realise that would be the correct path, this would then be updated in the configuration.php for the Joomla install (that is within the top level directory within /web/ for the website concerned where the Joomla directories are stored. If I can explain this better, please let me know.