Restore Snapshots and How hosters deal with them

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Alex Mamatuik, Apr 12, 2023.

1. Alex Mamatuik

Alex Mamatuik Member

Recently, some of my hosters has added a possibility to download created snapshot through:
    and i am tempted with that to save some budget, considering that that my server' expenses can be reduced up to 28%.

But there is a lack of forceful explanations over the internet' search engines helping to quench my thirst.

How to upload it back?

rsync, snapper?
    which programme do i have to use?

Actually how do hosting companies manage those processes of creation of snapshots and them further restoration?

Earlier this cool guy @ztk.me had helped me with the borg backup system for the root server (somewhere else), but a long time did he visit this Forum before.

Despite of lot of ads (with adguard enabled) i still love this forum (ISP Config developers are great).

Bro, are you here?

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I would ask the hoster. Or examine the documentation and tutorials they maybe provide. Did the hoster tell how to upload snapshot back in the article they announced this capability?
    I would guess it is not a matter of which program to use. Rather, where are those snapshot files stored and how can you write a file there.

3. Alex Mamatuik

Alex Mamatuik Member

If you please...

Nope, they don't (OVH)
    Write a file? - hmm

I store these snapshot files as a whole at the remote storage box (hetzner)