retrieve or reset ISPConfig password?

Discussion in 'General' started by blesbok, Aug 6, 2008.

1. blesbok

blesbok New Member

my ISPConfig Admin password's changed and i don't believe i did it this time. Seems a Fedora upgrade may have been responsible. I'd given the command: [root@billsrange ~]# yum groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)" "GNOME Desktop Environment" "X Software Development"

This messed up a few settings including my network configuration. (It did solve 1 or 2 things :rolleyes:) After that, my ISPConfig password didn't work and kdewalletmanager was mangled too. :(

Is there a way to regain access or do i have to reinstall ISPConfig all over again? Any attention given too this will be muchh appreciated. :)

2. blesbok

blesbok New Member

hooray!

relax! i found a way after following 'Similar threads' below this post.

I used:

# mysql db_ispconfig -p
    Enter password: <type in the root password>
    UPDATE sys_user SET passwort = md5('myNewPassword') WHERE username = 'admin';

Thanks CleberDantas :)

3. CyD

CyD New Member

Thanks blesbok, I had a similar problem where I reset the admin password from the ISPConfig 3 interface, and afterwards couldn't log in. Your post got me back in!

4. Breanainn

Breanainn New Member

Thanks great post.

in 3.0.1.1 thline should be

# mysql dbispconfig -p

# mysql db_ispconfig -p

for some reason the undersocre was left out of the name in my clean new install

5. BCHarvey

BCHarvey New Member

And if you forgot your mysql password use these instructions:

Linux Users:

Log on to your Linux machine as the root user. The steps involved in resetting the MySQL root password are to stop the MySQL server, restart it without the permissions active so you can log into MySQL as root without a password, set a new password, and then restart it normally. Here’s how you do it. First, stop the MySQL server:

# /etc/init.d/mysql stop

Now start the MySQL server using the --skip-grant-tables option, which will run the server without loading the permissions settings:

# mysqld_safe --skip-grant-tables &

The & option at the end makes the command you have executed run as a background process. Now log on to your MySQL server as root:

# mysql -u root

It should allow you in without prompting for a password. The following steps will set the new password:

mysql> use mysql;
    mysql> update user set password=PASSWORD(”NewMySQLPassword”) where User=’root’;
    mysql> flush privileges;
    mysql> quit

Replace “NewMySQLPassword” with your own password. Here’s what happens here. The first line selects the MySQL configuration tables. The second line updates the value of the field “Password” for the user “root” to “NewMySQLPassword”. The third line flushes the old set of privileges and makes sure your new password is used everywhere. Now, the last step is to restart the server normally and use your new root password to log in:

# /etc/init.d/mysql stop
    # /etc/init.d/mysql start
    # mysql -u root -pNewMySQLPassword

Congratulations, your new MySQL root password is set and your MySQL server is ready to be used again. Remember to update all your applications to use this password if you are using it anywhere.

6. mayasl

mayasl New Member

Thank you so much man.

I had such a situation. I was helpless and thought of re-installing the entire server. Yet just thought to take a look at HTF and searched the forum.

Thank god! Got it!

You are a life saver.

And of course it's not password, it's passwort. ;)

7. peter_castr

peter_castr New Member

Does this work properly on all MySQL versions?

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that works on all mysql versions.