Retrieve Root Mail

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by kisong, Oct 20, 2005.

1. kisong

kisong New Member

For some reason, there were aliases that were set so that my support mail was going to the root account. I have since removed this alias, and all support mail goes to ... support.

I wanted to know if it was possible to retrieve the mail that was previously forwarded to root from my support account.

I have Postfix/Fedora Core4/ISPConfig

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If your root email account is reachable via imap, you can copy the mails with an imap capable email client like thunderbird.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
  3. kisong

kisong New Member

What if I don't have an IMAP capable email client?

Is there a file/folder that I can just move into a different user's account?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I found this: http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/mailutil.1.html

But maybe you can use fetchmail to fetch the mails from the mailbox and send it to the support mailbox.

I think I've once done something like this, but I can't remember which program I used for it... :(

5. kisong

kisong New Member

Maybe the best/easiest way is to use my imap client.

However, I've never used an IMAP client, so I'm not exactly sure how to set it up. I'm pretty sure I setup IMAP Server on my server (used The Perfect Fedora Core 4 Setup Guide).

If my mail server address is: mail.knifecenter.com, would the IMAP server also be mail.knifecenter.com

Or is there a different name for the server?

6. till

Your imap server is the same then your pop3 server, in your case: mail.knifecenter.com

7. kisong

kisong New Member

That's what I thought. However, when I setup my imap account with the correct server setting and the correct username (root) and password, it won't do anything ...

How do I check to see if the server is running properly?

8. till

Have a look at your mail log and your messages log for errors and make shure you have not blocked the imap port with a firewall or in acse you are behind a router, have forwarded the imap port to your server.

9. kisong

kisong New Member

I've looked at my mail logs and there is no record of any connection attempt for an IMAP connection.

Maybe it is a firewall issue. Is there a software firewall built into Fedora Core 4? Because I do not have the server behind a firewall (at least not one with port 143 closed).

10. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Maybe root logins aren't allowed? :confused:

11. kisong

kisong New Member

How do I check that out?

Just to let you know, I tried logging onto the IMAP server with a username that I know works with POP and SMTP access, and that account does not work either.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005