reverse dns for ip with no web

Discussion in 'General' started by jmroth, Feb 8, 2006.

1. jmroth

jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Just a remark on reverse DNS.
    We have a mail server on a separate IP. The IP is listed in ISPConfig's interface list but there is no web attached to it => no reverse DNS record is created then.
    I have configured it manually in the zone file, and I also found out that just adding a
    Code:
    $GENERATE 1-255 $ PTR ip-netA-${0,3,d}.domain.com.
    block will not help as it will generate SERVFAIL for the entire zone. When using the Generate-statement it seems you will have to manually exclude IPs that are already manually defined.
    Just my 2c for today.
    Regards
    ~jm

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You dont have to create a website for DNS records, just use the DNS-Manager for this. Even the ISP-Manager part uses the DNS-mamnager in the backend for creating the DNS Records.

3. jmroth

jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

hmm :-\
    i was talking about *reverse* dns...
    as far as i see there are no explicit options on how those entries are created

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I'am talking about reverse DNS too. The reverse zones where added automatically if ISPConfig is authoritive for a domain.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you create a zone in the DNS Manager, then ISPConfig creates the reverse records automatically. Have a look at your named.conf and the files referenced from there.