Reverse records / PTR problems

Discussion in 'General' started by K_meleonu, Dec 16, 2009.

1. K_meleonu

K_meleonu Member

Hi there to all,
    I recently camed across a problem with the reverse zones / PTR for a couple IP's i have.

I use ISPConfig 2.X an the problem is like this.

In ISPConfig i do NOT have any PTR records for these IP's . However, if i run host 86.106.x.x i get a reverse name .
    root@zeus:~# host 86.106.xx.xx
    xx.xx.106.86.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer RomShells.Egg.XXXXX.info.

If i try a ping on RomShells.Egg.XXXXX.info or a dig or anything else i do not get the IP.

I have checked in /var/named/chroot/var/named for any pri.RomShells.Egg.XXXXX.info. and found nothing.

Is there any way to erase / delete / make that reverse disappear?

Thank you in advance for your responses and for reading my post.

Best regards,
    Alex

2. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

You get that reversed info from the nameserver that is hosting the romshell.egg.xxx.info zone. afaik nothing you can do about it.

3. K_meleonu

K_meleonu Member

Hope i have undestood right.

You say that the reverse DNS appears because it is hosted on the primari server (on wich is the master DNS server).

If so, that is not a problem because that server is mine.

I want to know how can i erase those records because they do not appear anywhere.

Thank you for your reply

4. Mark_NL

Mark_NL Member

If you supply me with the complete ip address, i can start poking dns servers :)

but ehm,

1. The server at ip 86.106.x.x is yours?
    2. Is it hosted at a datacenter? or is it connected through your home ISP?

5. K_meleonu

K_meleonu Member

Hi there,
    The IP class and server are mine. Hosted in my own center.

I have solved the problem by eliminating those PTR records from the IS Confid MySQL DataBase.
    You just edit the database and go to the ptr table and from there you delete the records you want.

In my case this was the only way to do this because those records did not appear in the ISP Config panel.

Thank you all for your responses and i hope this will help other people in my situation.