Reverse zone and ptr records

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by gpetrom, Oct 11, 2015.

1. gpetrom

gpetrom Member

Hi

I have installed in my lab ispconfig for testing sites. Now when i want to test a site i am going to my hosts file and put for example
    192.168.1.240 example.local to be able to ping it.
    Can anyone give me an example for creating a reverse zone and the records that i have to make so i will not have to do this.
    Thanks in advanced

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please take a look into the ISPConfig manual, it contains an example on how to create a reverse zone:

https://www.howtoforge.com/download-the-ispconfig-3-manual

But what you need is not a reverse zone, the reverse zone is only needed to lower the spam score when you use this server as email server. To access a website by domain name you just need a normal dns zone for that domain, the manual contains examples for this as well.

3. gpetrom

gpetrom Member

Hi Till
    I have already done this and it does not work at least from my pc. I noticed that from windows machine it works. My machine is an Ubuntu 14.04 desktop and it does not work. In fact i have two ubuntu machines that does not work. Maybe is something with network manager or in linux the behaviour is different?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is no differennce in DNS records for OS or Windows. Ensure that you have set the dns sever of your server as nameserver in ubuntu in case that the domains that you use are no officially registered domains.

5. gpetrom

gpetrom Member

I have tested on lubuntu and it is working. The strange thing is when i do nslookup it is resolving ok but when i am trying to ping the domain it does not resolv.
    ping: unknown host crm.example.local

6. gpetrom

gpetrom Member

Hi till problem solved
    it seems .local address can't be access in ubuntu.
    a solution is to edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and change this line :
    hosts: files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
    by this :
    hosts: files dns
    Now it is working perfect

till likes this.