RHEL4 Crash Log?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by t1shopper, Feb 12, 2007.

1. t1shopper

t1shopper New Member

My RHEL4 server is locking up several times a day and I have to manually power cycle it to get it to come up. Can't find anything in the logs to indicate what the problem is. Looked in the /var/log/ directory and looked at messages, boot.log, secure, lastlog. Nothing. Everything seems happy and then POW! It just locks up... Any thoughts?

http://www.t1shopper.com/

2. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I'd run extensive hardware test. Must be a faulty motherboard or something. Consult the vendor website of your system to get diagnostics software if you don't have CD's.

3. t1shopper

t1shopper New Member

Yes, ran memtest, and it's showing all kinds of errors... Probally bad memory. Very maddening. Got the best memory out there Corsair CM72SD1024RLP-3200 1GB so this wouldn;t happen and what do I get... :mad:

Oh well....

4. t1shopper

t1shopper New Member

Anyone know how to debug this? Do I go get a new stick of RAM ans start switching our modules until I find tha bad one?

5. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

The errors of your diagnostics software usually indicate which module is faulty. Maybe you can swap two existing memory modules and see if the error(s) occur at different places. Beware that the motherboard / memory controller can be faulty also and make you believe a memory module is in error.

6. t1shopper

t1shopper New Member

Thanks! Just did that - testing each of the sticks one by one (well, two at a time) and everything came back clean! What in the world? So I put it all back together again and testest it, and it came back clean. Weirdest thing ever. A stick must have wiggled a bit loose and the reseating just fixed it. Thanks everyone for your help.