rhythmbox, ipod debian

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by sm_kemp, Aug 29, 2007.

1. sm_kemp

sm_kemp New Member

The How-to and other posts seem to indicate that rhythmbox should be able to copy playlists to the ipod. However, when I drag a song from my library to the ipod, it drops its there, but does not transfer it. I can't see any obvious errors, and gtkpod can write to the ipod device so i don't think its a mounting issue. I had the same problem when i tried Exaile and Banshee...odd because from what I can tell, they all use the same library as gtkpod (libgpod).

any help on where to look for a solution?

rhythmbox version 0.10.1-1+b1

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I couldn't use Rhythmbox for managing playlists - I had to use gtkpod for it.

3. sm_kemp

sm_kemp New Member

Aha! I knew it! But you say you can drag songs onto the ipod...I can't do that either - nothing happens when I drop a song or a playlist on the ipod.

Your howto clearly says you can drag songs onto the ipod...so I must have something wrong in my setup.

Thanks for replying by the way - I used your "perfect setup" howto's in the past and have really appreciated the info you provide.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, that's true.

Check your log files in /var/log. Hopefully you can find the cause of the problem there.

5. sm_kemp

sm_kemp New Member

My bad, it turns out that Rhythmbox did let me copy tracks to the ipod- I just couldn't put them on a playlist.

Amarok seems to work - functionally you can do everything: play music, look through your library manage playlists on and off the ipod, but I hate the interface, as most of it is taken up by the playlist - also the KDE libraries make loading slow under gnome.

Oh well.

Thanks again, you are a saint for even talking to people like me!