Roaming Profile Error with Samba Domain Controller Setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by singe, Mar 3, 2006.

1. singe

singe New Member

I've most recently configured a Samba PDC with version 5.10. I followed all of the directions and am 'almost' there. I can successfully login from WinXP using the domain password set via smbpasswd, but when I do, I get the following error, "Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile...", it goes on suggesting that I've got a permission problem.
    So here's what I know: My smbuser file has the row "root = Administator" and when I log on as an Administrator from winXP it properly locates the server copy placed in /home/samba/profiles/root.
    My solution. I created a linux user, added the user to samba, verified the new user was a primary member of group users to correlate to permission/group settings of /home/samba/profiles (771). Problem did not go away.
    Next, I added a new row in smbusers to map the linux user to the winXP user, but to no avail, this didn't work either.
    The only solution that does work is to map the winXP user to root!
    Please help! How do I allow each user to have their own profile?

2. vlade

vlade New Member

Check this config:

[global]
    logon path = \\%L\profile\%U
    workgroup = SAMBADOM
    security = user
    encrypt passwords = yes
    domain logon = yes

[profiles]
    path = path to profiles folder
    read only = no
    create mode = 600
    directory mode = 770
    writeable = yes
    browseable = no
    guest ok = no

some info: http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_&_Windows_Profiles

In profiles folder there must be folder for every username containing roaming profile files - that you allready figured it out.
    It would be best if you post your config.