Roundcube, Dovecot, Postfix broken :(

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by richard edwards, Jul 30, 2015.

1. richard edwards

richard edwards New Member

Well, first I installed an application the other day, which seemed to knock out the emails being sent.
    It looks like whatever i installed enabled sendmail and messed up postfix, so I reinstalled these, dovecot and roundcube, and manually ran the Install process steps to configure those parts, as a clean install of postfix without re-running the ISPConfig installer simply wont work due to changes it needed.

My emails now send via SMTP again all ok, however I remain unable to log in to any email accounts in roundcube, it just tells me the username cannot be found in the error log /var/log/secure. (i cleared the maillog and secure log files, now its not writing anything to them! so cant debug them as i dont know where to set the log files for each service)
    At this point I updated ISPConfig to the latest version in the hope it might sort itself out, but it hasnt.
    My dovecot looks to be using passwd and pam for checking user and pass, but shouldnt this be using sql?
    Code:
    [root@ns370881 named]# doveconf -n
    # 2.2.10: /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
    # OS: Linux 3.14.32-xxxx-grs-ipv6-64 x86_64 
    managesieve_notify_capability = mailto
    managesieve_sieve_capability = fileinto reject envelope encoded-character vacation subaddress comparator-i;ascii-numeric relational regex imap4flags copy include variables body enotify environment mailbox date ihave
    mbox_write_locks = fcntl
    namespace inbox {
      inbox = yes
      location =
      mailbox Drafts {
        special_use = \Drafts
      }
      mailbox Junk {
        special_use = \Junk
      }
      mailbox Sent {
        special_use = \Sent
      }
      mailbox "Sent Messages" {
        special_use = \Sent
      }
      mailbox Trash {
        special_use = \Trash
      }
      prefix =
    }
    passdb {
      driver = pam
    }
    plugin {
      sieve = ~/.dovecot.sieve
      sieve_dir = ~/sieve
    }
    ssl = required
    ssl_cert = </etc/pki/dovecot/certs/dovecot.pem
    ssl_key = </etc/pki/dovecot/private/dovecot.pem
    userdb {
      driver = passwd
    }

2. richard edwards

The errors I get when trying IMAP send are:
    Code:
    Connecting to localhost...
    IMAP connect:  NOT OK(Login failed for [email protected] from 31.221.21.58. AUTHENTICATE PLAIN: Authentication failed.)
    error when trying to test imap in the installer - this is from yesterday, for some reason my debug is not logging to the imap log anymore..
    Code:
    [29-Jul-2015 13:58:37 +0100]: <bd74k4gq> [5253] S: * ID ("name" "Dovecot")
    [29-Jul-2015 13:58:37 +0100]: <bd74k4gq> [5253] S: A0001 OK ID completed.
    [29-Jul-2015 13:58:37 +0100]: <bd74k4gq> [5253] C: A0002 AUTHENTICATE PLAIN ****** [13]
    [29-Jul-2015 13:58:40 +0100]: <bd74k4gq> [5253] S: A0002 NO [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Authentication failed.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The dovecot config you posted is not from an ispconfig configuration, you must have replaced it after ispconfig install. download ispconfig and run the update.php script in the install folder and choose to reconfigure services during update so that the ispconfig updater replaces the faulty server config with the correct one for an ispconfig server.

4. richard edwards

awesome, thanks, i did it manually as it tells me i have no updates, must have missed that bit

5. richard edwards

Thats fixed the login, but it seems my hosted emails are not coming in at all, nor do my forwards work.
    For example, I can send out fine to my personal emails, but if i send to [email protected] i never get the email.
    As you can see from my other thread, the MX records are right and this used to work, as did the forwarder for [email protected] to my personal email, but neither work now.
    Is this a dovecot issue? or would it be one of the other many mail services?

6. richard edwards

ive broken it again, i missed some postconf -e commands, and just ran them, now it times out :D

How can i force ispconfig to re-run the upgrade script?

7. till

Download ispconfig and run the update.php script in the install folder.

8. richard edwards

ok done - i guess it messed up since I had 'exec' disabled in php.ini when i did the last update. security and all.

Now I am getting:
    Code:
    SMTP Error (550): Failed to add recipient "[email protected]" (5.1.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table).

9. richard edwards

fixed that, had my domain name as the hostname rather than the servers hostname

10. richard edwards

Still, not getting emails to this ultima.one email addresses :/

11. richard edwards

removed my hostname from mydestination in postfix, which fixed the redirected email when sent form inside the server, but email sent from local->local and pixelhero.co.uk (one of my domains, and also the nameserver)->local is not working. only local->external and non-hosted domains->local (redirects)

im not getting any errors, so it seems its working, but just not putting the email in the right place?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  12. richard edwards

Code:
    Jul 30 14:58:23 ns370881 postfix/pipe[21732]: 9CBEE6362B: to=<[email protected]>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.02, delays=0/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: pipe: fatal: pipe_command: execvp /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver: No such file or directory )

13. till

Seems as if the dovecot deliver program was removed from your server.

14. richard edwards

how can i reinstall it?

15. richard edwards

So i changed the permissions on the deliver folder, now it writes emails there, so its working better, and sending them, only problem now is its not listing them in my inbox still.

16. richard edwards

Code:
    Jul 30 18:30:33 ns370881 postfix/pipe[13742]: ECC416237C: to=<[email protected]>, relay=dovecot, delay=0.01, delays=0/0/0/0, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: pipe: fatal: pipe_command: execvp /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver: Permission denied )
    permission denied, it shouldnt be, what persm and owner should it have?