Roundcube - no bounce messages

Discussion in 'General' started by TomC, May 4, 2008.

1. TomC

TomC New Member

Hi all,

today I discovered a weird behaviour of RoundCube webmail: When I send messages to a non-existing email address, there are no bounce-messages sent back to the sender. Funny enough: When I connect with Thunderbird via IMAP, everything works fine.

What I found in the mail.info is the following:

What strikes me is that RoundCube sends the message with www-data@... in the from-field, which is also found in the return-path-field of a correctly sent message. The "real" sender address is only found in the x-sender-field.

What on earth is that? Is it because I have configured RoundCube to use PHP mail() to sent messages? But there still should be a decent sender information?!

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Tom

2. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I don't have a full explanation for that, but you can decide NOT to use php to send your mails. If you want to send your mails with the current username/password and smtp-server, make sure you've the following lines within your config/main.inc.php file:

$rcmail_config['virtuser_file'] = '/etc/postfix/virtusertable';
    $rcmail_config['smtp_server'] = 'host.domain.tld';
    $rcmail_config['smtp_user'] = '%u';
    $rcmail_config['smtp_pass'] = '%p';

Where 'host.domain.tld'; is the output of the command: hostname -f

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  3. TomC

TomC New Member

Thanks loads, Hans!

I tried this already, yet, I configured a different name for the smtp_server. The important hint was to use the "hostname -f" server name.

However, I still wonder, why the php mail() type of configuration does not work decently. Maybe one day I will find out... ;-) For now, I am happy with the way it works.