roundcube oddity

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by craig baker, Dec 17, 2014.

1. craig baker

craig baker Member HowtoForge Supporter

I've got Centos 6.5(6 now) ala perfect server and have been using roundcube 1.0 for quite some time happily....

but I've noticed today for about an hour or so I was getting 'connection to storage server failed' and then suddenly it started working again.

I dont see anything in the mail logs and am trying to find out where roundcube puts its log.
    its under /var/www/apps/ folder.

any ideas? really weird!
    cdb.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as I know, the log location and log level of roundcube can be configured in its configuration file. Not sure if it writes a own log at all by default, it might be that errors are logged to syslog.

3. craig baker

roundcube errors

in the logs we see lines like this over the space of about an hour.
    then all goes away! and suddenly roundcube works again no problems.
    and needless to say I've changed nothing!

also - I've had customes SWEAR on a stack of religious manuals that emails sent to them from my server never get through - and no bouncebacks on my end.
    also american express SWEARS they emailed a customer on my end and I see nothing in the logs at all (looked all in the time period) and no incoming, no rejectsion, no nothing!
    geesh why cant things work nicely like they used to do? LOL

also I've just upgraded roundcube to 1.0.3 (current stable) and I notice many of the files are owned by 501/80. should these not all be ispapps/ispapps?

ideas??
    from the logs:
    --snip--
    [17-Dec-2014 15:16:28 -0500]: IMAP Error: Login failed for [email protected] from 70.208.145.207. Could not connect to ns9.cdbsystems.com:143: Connection refused in /var/www/apps/roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap.php on line 184 (POST /webmail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
    [17-Dec-2014 15:16:36 -0500]: IMAP Error: Login failed for [email protected] from 70.208.145.207. Could not connect to ns9.cdbsystems.com:143: Connection refused in /var/www/apps/roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap.php on line 184 (POST /webmail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
    [17-Dec-2014 15:16:48 -0500]: IMAP Error: Login failed for [email protected] from 70.208.145.207. Could not connect to ns9.cdbsystems.com:143: Connection refused in /var/www/apps/roundcube/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap.php on line 184 (POST /webmail/?_task=login?_task=login&_action=login)
    --snip--

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  4. till

yes, should be ispapps:ispapps.

And no errors from imap daemon on ns9 server? Please check fail2ban log on ns9 if it contains blockings of the ip of the server that has roundcube installed. maybe someone entered a wrong password several times and fail2ban on ns9 locked out the server that runs roundcube for some time.

5. craig baker

FAIL2BAN - indeed this is exactly what happened. whenever anyone guesses passwords wrong fail2ban locks out the local server from accessing port 143 for 30 minutes. clearly this is not a good situation as any bastard phishing for passwords can knock out my mail LOL
    *I* forgot a customers password and tried several times and had another customer complain roundcube was down!

restarting fail2ban brought roundcube up (immediately of course) - but there has to be way to have fail2ban not ban my server itself.

how do we get the two of them to play nice?

6. till

7. craig baker

Roundcube update and some new errors - and fixes!

I just updated to roundcube-1.1.3 and all went fine.
    you unpack the gz and from your roundcube install directory (I hang mine off root) you run
    ./bin/installto.sh <TARGET-FOLDER>

TARGET-FOLDER with ispconfig3 is /var/www/apps/roundcube
    and all updates properly.

I noticed a problem where a user could not look at her INBOX - but all other boxes were fine!

Turns out roundcube has a rather ungenerous php limit. in the file:
    /var/www/apps/rondcube/.htaccess
    php_value memory_limit
    needed to be bumped up to 256M from 64M.
    all happy!

Jesse Norell likes this.