Roundcube password change does not work

Discussion in 'General' started by muekno, Aug 4, 2021.

1. muekno

muekno Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

If I try to change my password in Roundcube and I click change I get a warning if if the password does not match criterias or if the new passwords do not match, but if everything is correct nothing happens, no password changed message. If I then log out and relog in the old password is still valid, but not the new one.
    Rainer

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which password change plugin do you use in Roundcube?

3. muekno

Where can I see this?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You should know which plugins you installed in your RoundCube setup. if you did not install any plugins, then you can't change the mail account password in RoundCube as there is no connection with ISPconfig which stores the passwords. Search for ispconfig roundcube plugin to find out how to connect roundcube to ispconfig.

5. muekno

I installed the password plugin years ago when it was announced here. Since the I did regulary update.At that time it later it worked. As it is not so often that passwords are changed I do not know since when it stopped working. I realiezed ist when I created a new mailbox account for a customer and recomended to change the initial password set by me. he than told me he can not login with the new password. I tested an found the problem that the old password is still working but not the new one.

under /etc/roundcube/plugins there are lot of plugins including password. In the passord dir is just on file config.inc.php date 24.11.18 (I do not think that this is the installation date as it is years ago I installed the plugin, so it my be anupdate) the uncommented content is just $config-array();
    Roundcub was initialy installed as discribed in your tutorial.
    creating new mailboxes, quotas and all these things work fine
    Rainer

P.S. https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/roundcube-password-change-plugin-not-work.84714/ led me to check the plugins in config.inc.php the ispconfig3_pass is listed beside a lot of other ispconfig plugins..

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  6. muekno

Dis a search for ispconfig3_pass.php found the file dated 15.11.2020

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Try installing the Roundcube plugins again. My signature has link to the new tutorial.

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I have a roundcube server (1.4.11+dfsg.1-4~bpo10+1) with ispconfig3_pass.php dated Nov 10, 2020 and in changing my password via the ispconfig plugin, it did give an error with an insufficient password, and when I entered sufficient criteria it printed a 'Successfully saved.' message. In testing the old/new passwords I initially saw inconsistent and confusing results until I realized what was going on, at which point everything is exactly as expected.

What is happening with my setup is this is multi-server, so the control panel and the mail server are different nodes. The roundcube plugin changes the mail users' password via the remote api, which is on the control panel node. When you login to roundcube, it authenticates with the mail server. After changing the password in roundcube, if you immediately log out and attempt login, you must use the old password until the server cron job runs on the mail server node to apply pending updates, after which time you must use the new password.

9. muekno

@jesse I have a multiserver too Admin is on an other node, but I do not get teh "Successfuly saved" message.
    so I think I will try Talemans advice and reinstall the plugin.