RSS feed not updating

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions' started by brainsys, Aug 17, 2021.

1. brainsys

brainsys Member

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Opening that links it shows
    Code:
    <pubDate>Tue, 17 Aug 2021 11:43:22 +0000</pubDate>

3. brainsys

brainsys Member

This is odd. I've just checked - two RSS readers on two machines see 21st July. Of 6 different browsers on 3 machines I get four that agree on the 21st July and two that agree with you. I've done forced refreshes and none of the browsers had loaded this feed before so it isn't a browser cache issue.

UPDATE: I've just gone to five of my ISPConfig servers in three different countries and did a wget. Weirdly two stick to the original 21st July date @ 12:40:42 while the other three give 22nd July @ 02:41:41

It does suggest that the Howtoforge feeder is feeding different stuff to different clients. Very mysterious.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe a cloudflare caching issue?

5. brainsys

brainsys Member

Yep, looks like it. I see the the forum is cached through three different IPs. And I get three different results. Using caches to report updates does seem strange. Is it possible to by-pass the cache by using an alias domain or set Cloudflare to not cache this URL?

I presume Cloudflare use an algorithm that detects when forum webpages change but maybe miss when the RSS feed also changes. I have no problem seeing the current forum through any browser.

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

7. brainsys

brainsys Member

To be honest this is not the most important stuff you good people should be doing. The Linux philosophy is 'do one thing and do it well". Thats's ISPConfig and you do that so well. Sorting out CloudFlare and RSS feeds is for when you get very, very bored ... and there is no more beer.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Must be some issue at Ezoic, the feed is already excluded from caching at their proxy. Have to contact their tech staff to see why they sometimes seem to cache it nonetheless.

9. brainsys

brainsys Member

The feed is now completely broken.

On investigation it now appears to be routed via Cloudflare. If you check the RSS URL in a browser it checks the browser before lettting you through. But RSS feeds are designed to accessed by a rss reader, not a browser - so I guess Cloudflare is saying - no browser - no feed. Can anything be done about this?

For reference I was using this feed: https://www.howtoforge.com/community/forums/-/index.rss from
    Akregator Version 5.19.3 (21.12.3)