Run Linux under Windows?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by dave, Apr 20, 2005.

1. dave

dave New Member

Is it possible to run Linux under Windows? I don't have a pile of test computers around me, and I don't want to have a dual boot computer, so it would be nice if this is possible.

Dave

2. jimmyjames

jimmyjames New Member

I guess VMWare (www.vmware.com) is what you are looking for. It's not free, but it's great. But I think they have a free beta version on their web site.

VMWare emulates a virtual PC and lets you install nearly every OS as the guest OS under the host OS.

Jimmy

3. tagammeer

tagammeer New Member

CoLinux might be another solution:

http://www.colinux.org/

It's free, but not quite as flexible as VMWare, I guess...

4. jojo

jojo New Member HowtoForge Supporter

5. metron

metron New Member

Here you can find another bit of virtality ;)

"..its a family of powerful x86 virtualization product for enterprise as well as home use." (http://www.virtualbox.org/):cool:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  6. rsinha

rsinha New Member

VMware

Although VirtualBox is good, it runs Windows quite slow on my linux box. VMWare Server (freeware) works better. You might want to try both and evaluate the usability differences.

Almost every "Perfect Desktop setup" tutorial on howtoforge has guidance on setting up VMWare server. Pick one of the tutorials for your distribution (Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE) and give it a shot.

HTH

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  7. metron

metron New Member

vmware vs. vbox

...well what for a linux distro you use? i used ubuntu 7.04 and it works fine on a 1,8 GHz Intel PC. It virtualised my winxp pro something slower , ok but i think that not so awful. I try to use my linux boxes and vmware or virtual box images anyway for my USB-Sticks. It should handle some lnx-distro's with a lonesome player and a handful of choices to boot. Like debian server,ubuntu desktop,redhat ...etc.

Did you experience whit that, trying to use virtual images on usb sticks?:confused:

8. jiggleo

jiggleo New Member

linux is a slave to none

running Linux under Windows would be like buying a Toyota after driving an Audi. with that being said have you considered one of the many flavors that allow you to boot from an external? There's a free version of vmware and a freebie imitator. can't remember what it was called but it might suffice.