Running ISPConfig on a vserver?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tron, Dec 6, 2005.

1. tron

tron New Member

Hi,

I am considering installing ISPConfig on a vserver. Before I actually do so, I would like to ask here if that is possible at all? I know there are some limitations (not too sure which exactly though) when using a vserver, especially concerning kernel-related stuff.

Let's have a closer look at the system requirements of ISPConfig:

I think that these applications shouldn't be a problem. With the exception of procmail I've already used each of the above mentioned apps.

I read that I would have to compile bind with --disable-linux-caps to make it work on a vserver. Apart from that I guess it'll work.

I have no clue about this one. Could there be any problems with it? I have asked a rather generic question in the official vserver irc channel about quota support in a vserver and this is what I got:
    To be honest, I cannot make much of it. Maybe you could explain what exactly ISPConfig needs quota to do, so that I can go back to the vserver folks to ask them about it.

iptables/ipchains don't work properly. For example, a simple iptables -L produces this error message:

I believe this is a vserver limitation and there is nothing I can do about it.

On the other hand I have full access to eth0 of the host system which probably means that anything related to ISPConfig doing traffic statistics wouldn't work properly, would it?

Overall, do you think ISPConfig will work on a vserver?

Thanks!

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Quota uses the normal linux quota tools. If they work, ISPConfig will work.

Traffic statistics in ISPConfig dont need IPTables. If IPTables do not work, only the firewall will fail.

I think ISPConfig will work on a vserver.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2005
  3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig should work on a Vserver.

Maybe you should consider copying the /lib/modules/2.4.31/ from the host system (if you have access) to the guest system in order to get iptables work. But ISPConfig won't fail if iptables doesn't work - except for the firewall part.

4. tron

tron New Member

Thanks for your quick replies! I have now done a fresh install of the Debian 3.1 image provided by my web hosting company and wherever possible I followed your guide "The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1)".

Quota doesn't seem to work on my vserver:

The main problem probably stems from an empty /etc/fstab because AFAIK that is dealt with on the host system. Nonetheless, I have now added the quota entries to both /etc/fstab and /etc/mtab:

In addition, setting up BIND in a chrooted environment failed because executing the two commands

only gave me:
    But I had to disable BIND anyway, because some time after having added a second domain to the DNS, BIND mysteriously wouldn't start anymore:

Apart from that, ISPConfig seems to be running fine but I still got a lot of exploring to do. :)

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok, but now you dont have any website or mail account limits. They do not work without quota. If you cam live with that and you do not need bind your installation shall work.