Running out of space following perfect server guide

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Vincent Emmanuel, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Vincent Emmanuel

Vincent Emmanuel New Member

Hi all,

I know this might not be related to the ISPConfig at all but looking for some help if any.
    I have just followed the perfect server guide and setup everything smoothly, we can create emails, domains, etc until yesterday everything just halt.
    I ran a few commands and it all points to "device out of space"
    We have 2 TB of usable space in there (3 x 1TB mirror x1 hot) so I am not understanding why it should run of out space?
    Currently, we only have 3 domains and 3 email addresses in the server.
    Any help is appreciated!!!

I tried df -h and it seems one of the partition is filled

Code:
    root@huper_mail:~# df -h
    Filesystem                         Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev                                32G     0   32G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                              6.3G  562M  5.8G   9% /run
    /dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv  3.9G  3.9G     0 100% /
    tmpfs                               32G     0   32G   0% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                              5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
    tmpfs                               32G     0   32G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/loop0                          87M   87M     0 100% /snap/core/4917
    /dev/sda2                          976M  143M  767M  16% /boot
    tmpfs                              6.3G     0  6.3G   0% /run/user/1000

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Root partition / is full. This is a show stopper for Unix and Linux systems.
    Looks like disk partitioning was done sloppily. The size column of df does not add up to 2 T.
    You seem to use LVM so it is possible to fiddle with partition sizes. Or just start over and install Linux again and pay attention to disk partition sizes.
    Using
    Code:
    fdisk -l /dev/sda
    probably shows there is unused space on disk.

3. Vincent Emmanuel

Thanks for the advice! Yes I did chose LVM during the setup. I'm able to reinstall Ubuntu and this time i should choose use the full disk instead of LVM?

I found a guide here
    https://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p2
    Should I take that as a reference ?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  4. Taleman

Excellent choice if you are installing Ubuntu 5.10.
    However, if you are installing more recent Ubuntu, there is this: https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ubuntu-lts-minimal-server/
    You can use LVM or not, it is up to you. But do not create just 4 GB root partition as your only partition. You can create swap sized about twice the RAM the host has, and put the rest of disk into one big partition, using LVM or not. It is not necessary to create a separate /boot partition nowadays. LVM is useful if you plan to add more disks or change partition sizes later on.
    Are the disks attached to a hardware RAID controller?

5. Vincent Emmanuel

Yes. The disk are attached to a raid controller.
    Strange thing is that when I boot my server using gparted live. I can only see 3 partitions and the ext4 is already using 100% of the space. Does that mean that I can actually use commandline to resize my root partition?

Added note here is that I did follow the bare server minimal guide in the first place when I setup the server.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  6. Taleman

ISPConfig installation assumes the underlying operating system is a minimal installation. If there already is something installed and running, the ISPConfig may very well fail to work after installation. So it is important to start with a minimal installation.
    Hardware RAID controller hides the bunch of disks attached to it from the operating system. The RAID comes with software to set up the disks to some RAID configuration, and then operating system sees perhaps one disk. Maybe your RAID setup is wonky? Can't say much since I know nothing of your setup.

7. Vincent Emmanuel

Thanks for the advice.
    I will recreate the raid and install fresh again.
    So this time, I should create a swap which is twice my ram and then the rest of the disk space to the root partition right?