running second hard drive on same pc

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ariban99, Oct 1, 2015.

1. ariban99

ariban99 Member

Hi,
    I read about dual boot however it all talks about shuting down on hard drive os and start the second os on the second hard drive.
    I would like to know if there is a way to run on one PC with 2 hard drives at the very same time? so one hard drive will automatically boot the centos 7 server with ispconfig on it and at the same time the second hard drive will boot up into windows 7.
    then from windows 7 i can open a terminal to enter the centos server.
    but they should run at the same time. my restaurant Point of sale using windows 7 as the server for the front touch screen terminal and i want to use the same PC to boot up a second hard drive to run the website for the restaurant.

is this possible and if yes how can it be done?

thank you
    Ben

2. vcha

vcha New Member

You can. with virtualization. If Windows 7 is your main workstation, I'd use that as the host and centos as the guest. With a computer that has enough resources you could run multiple.But it could go either way.
    You could use just one hard drive. But using two is a good idea as it's a little more efficient.
    If you're not familiar with virtual machines try Virtual Box first, as it's the most user friendly, IMHO.

3. ariban99

ariban99 Member

thank you. my primary hard drive is the web server running ispconfig (centos).
    does anyone have a tutorial i can follow to install virtualization on an existing ispconfig hard drive that will use a secondary hard drive in the same pc?
    thank you

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  4. vcha

vcha New Member

It would be best to learn the basics on another computer so not to mess up your configured server. There is a learning curve.