Russian Clients website shows text as -> ??? ���

Discussion in 'General' started by sierradump, Sep 20, 2008.

1. sierradump

sierradump New Member

I have a client from russia who is hosting their site on my ISPConfig server and their website shows text as the following (taken from their index.html) :

����� ������:
    # ��� ����� ��������� ����� ���?
    # ����������� �������
    # ����������� ������� ���������
    # ��� ���� ��� �� ������������� �����
    # ����� ����� ��������� ��� ��������?
    # ������ �� ������ � ���������� ������

Do I need to install a russian language pack to get the characters to show up properly?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Either your browser is not able to display the russian langauge set or you dont have the correct language set defined in the header of the html file.

Anothre reason might be the default charset in your apache2.conf ot httpd.conf file, try to set it to utf8.

3. sierradump

sierradump New Member

A little more diagnosis...

I think this might be what I am looking for, but I don't exactly know what it does? Does this change EVERYTHING my server hosts to Russian? Or does it just change the way the characters are displayed? I only have 1 Russian client and the rest are all English. I don't want to ruin the 25 other sites I have by doing this.

HERE IS SOME MORE DIAGNOSTICS STEPS I TOOK:

So his website is currently up/running on another host and he is moving to my server...

He copied his pages over from his old server to my server...

When I look at his live page on the old server, my browser shows the russian characters. When I look at his page on my server, it shows the ����� ������: funny characters...

I then tried to "view page source" on his live/current site - I copied the entire source of the index.html page, and pasted it to a new .html file - then uploaded that file to my webserver, same thing; I get the funny characters.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Add
    Code:
    AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
    to your Apache configuration and restart Apache.

5. sierradump

sierradump New Member

Thanks falko!

Hey thanks for the tip Falko!

At the risk of sounding like I don't know what I am doing - could you tell me where my apache configuration is located? I followed your Centos 5 PERFECT SERVER with ISPCONFIG tutorial!

And do I add the line, or modify a line that is already in the .conf?

THANKS FALKO!

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I think it's in /etc/httpd/conf.

Modify the existing line, or add it if it doesn't exist.