(S)FTP and the "ftp-root"

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by vogelor, Jan 8, 2007.

1. vogelor

vogelor ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

SFTP and FTP works fine at my server and the customer can now login and see his files.

Every user has it's own "ftp-root" which is shown first after logging in.
    Is there any way to change this root?

To make clear what i mean:
    if the admin of the web is logging in, he sees /var/www/web14. he then can change to (for example) /web (means /var/www/web14/web).
    i think it would be fine if the first path he sees is /var/www/web14/web and he then can change "back" to /var/www/web14 if he likes.

is there any chance to make this?

2. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Not sure if you use ProFTP, but if yes you can use
    Code:
    <Global>
    DefaultRoot ~
    </Global>

in your configuration. That will restrict users to their home directory.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think that the initial direcory can only be set in the mail client and not on the mail server. On the mailserver you can only set the chroot directory. You may change it to something like ~/web , but then he is not able to get a directory down anymore.

4. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Errrm, Till, what has a mailserver to do with FTP, which is the subject of the OP?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sorry, I seem to be a bit :confused: as I wrote the post above :) Please replace the word "mail" with "FTP" in my post :D

6. vogelor

vogelor ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

like this

Hhm i think, i like this. WHY SHOULD THE USER HAVE ACCESS TO THE SSL-CERT, TO HIS MAIL-FILES OR SOMETHING SIMILAR. If you are a 1und1 customer you don't have this files too (and i don't know if it is a good idea, that a customer can delete or edit a ssl-cert or something else outside his document_root ;)

i also thought about the client side, but how to tell my customer such a thing. i am happy if they can setup a mail-client ;) (nothing against my customer - that's NOT THEIR BUSINESS! ;) )