Samba - DHCP Server?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Mola-4-Speed, May 26, 2008.

1. Mola-4-Speed

Mola-4-Speed New Member

Hey there,

I am trying to set up the following network:
    I have a Firewall (Endian) that is the DHCP server. Connected to this firewall is a switch with a couple win-xp-pc's and the ubuntu (7.1/samba) server.

________________________________x--->Linux Server (w/ Samba)
    ________________________________x--->Win XP Pc 1
    Internet -> Endian Firewall -> Switch x--->Win XP Pc 2
    ________________________________x--->Win XP Pc 3
    ________________________________x--->Win XP Pc 4

My general question is: Do I have to enable DHCP on my linux server or do I give it a fixed IP? I read in some tutorial that a server should always have a fixed IP, is that true? If so, do I configure my firewall (DHCP server) so that the linux sever has a fixed lease? Do I have to create a host-file somewhere? *confused*... :/

Thanks for help!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. Mola-4-Speed

Mola-4-Speed New Member

thanks for the reply.

I followed that tutorial and thus have the same settings. But maybe you could explain them a little to me, that might be helpful...

iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.100
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1

address=samba address?
    network=192.168.1.xx?
    broadcast=?
    gateway=?

I gave the samba a fixed IP and configured the dhcp so that the samba also has a fixed lease.

My problem right now: I can ping the samba from the workstations and can even access the data thru start > run, I just can't change the settings from workgroup to domain (when I enter my domain I get asked for a username and a password, but no matter what I enter I get a "can't connect" message).

thanks!

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can use www.subnetmask.info to find the correct values for your subnet.

Are there any errors in your logs?

5. ryazkhan

ryazkhan New Member

look like you have setup samba just for file sharing and now you want to join machines to it
    follow this for complete setup and make changes to your configs where needed www.freetech.selfip.info/samba.php