samba domain controller - ubuntu

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by eoij1, Feb 18, 2006.

1. eoij1

eoij1 New Member

Hi,

I have been following the HOWTO on setting up a SAMBA primary domain controller for Ubuntu on the howtoforge.com site and I am having a little trouble. I searched the forums and found somebody that had similar trouble and they said they resolved it, but I am unsure how. I am on page 5 of the tutorial where you type smbpasswd -a tom and after I enter the password for user tom i get this error:

tdb_update_sam: failing to store a SAM_ACCOUNT for [tom] without a primary group RID
    Failed to add entry for user tom.
    Failed to modify password entry for user tom.

I came across this page on the forums with similar trouble, http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10&page=2&highlight=samba+domain+controller
    but I dont know what the fix is for it. If anybody can shed some light on how or what I might be doing wrong I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You will have to change the domain in smb.conf to be the same then the hostname that you entered during the Ubuntu setup. Then restart samba.

3. yohann

yohann New Member

hello

i've the same problem, so i did change the net-bios name in smb.conf to have the same as in /etc/hostname
    but i still have the problem, what can i do?

PS: thank you for the help, and sorry about my bad english

EDIT: it looks likie it come from the command useradd -m -G tom because if if create the new user from the ubuntu graphical interface, it works fine

Last edited: Oct 5, 2006
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you see any differences in /etc/passwd for a new user when you create it from the shell and from the gui?