Samba error while following "running-a-file-and-print-server-with-ebox"

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by justsayclint, Sep 26, 2008.

1. justsayclint

justsayclint New Member

Hi everyone,

Firstly a big thanks to all who keep this site alive, I am very new to linux and this site has been a god send.

I was able to follow the The Perfect Server - Ubuntu Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server) instructions to chapter 10 as directed.

Then I got through chapter 1 - 3 in Running A File And Print-Server With eBox On Ubuntu 8.04 Server, but started running into problems in chapter 4.

I selected the modules required. When selecting "file sharing" the pop-up displayed and when I pressed "accept" nothing happened for about 10 minutes, as the others had been closing in a matter of seconds I assumed something was wrong and pressed the "X" to close the pop-up. When it closed a tick was there for "file sharing" so I proceeded.

When I pressed "Save Changes" it went throught the modules and then displayed the error:

Now I cannot add a group as the following error is displayed and trying to add a group does not save.

the line in ebox.log in /var/log/ebox/ which seems to be the error generated when the above is displayed.

And this error is generated when the I try to add groups:

I have tried installing samba manually but it didn't seem to make any difference. I tried removing and re-installing ebox too but also that did not help.

Thanks in advance for help you may be able to lend.

Clinton

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Are there any errors in the other logs?

3. justsayclint

justsayclint New Member

Hi,

The error.log had hundreds of line and I wasn't sure which related, so I went into ebox and deselected all the modules again and got the same error message in the ebox.log as above and the following appeared in the error.log: (Sorry to include everything I'm not sure what is relevant and what is not:confused:)

4. falko

Maybe eBox wasn't fully installed. Do you have enough disk space? What's the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    ?

5. justsayclint

justsayclint New Member

Thanks for taking an interest in this....

There should be heaps of space, its a new 230gb hdd. the whole ubuntu is fresh install on a new hdd.

i followed the steps in the "Perfect Server" walkthrough which used the default partitioning.

6. falko

Did you disable AppArmor?

7. justsayclint

justsayclint New Member

Disabled and removed...

8. falko

And you also changed the symlink from /bin/sh to /bin/bash?

9. justsayclint

justsayclint New Member

Not sure what this is, so I don't think I did it?

10. falko

Try this:
    Code:
    ln -sf /bin/bash /bin/sh

11. justsayclint

justsayclint New Member

Thanks again for your help.

That command ran ok, but didn't fix the ebox error.

I have been scrutinizing the ebox.log and found a couple of other errors that seem to be generated around the same time:

12. falko

Hm... I'd try to reboot the system once more. If that doesn't help, I'm running out of ideas... :(

13. justsayclint

justsayclint New Member

Still no joy... Thanks again for trying...

Any other web based server management apps you can recommend?

14. falko