Samba LDAP, Webmin User password

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by mperreault, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mperreault

mperreault New Member

Hello I've recently setup a Ubuntu Server 7.10: OpenLDAP + SAMBA Domain Controller..

I followed this
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=640760

It's working well the Windows XP Machines will authenticate to the domain...
    I plan on deploying this in a small school. I would like to create many of the younger children's accounts without a password.

I added null passwords = yes to the smb.conf file.

when I try to set an empty password with smbldap-passwd I get the message.
    I cannot generate the proper hash!

So I've tried the following, where -H modifies the sambaAcctFlags, and the N flag means a password is not required.
    smbldap-usermod -H[N] username

This seems to work however when I log in I get a message that the password has expired and that it must be changed.

so I tried the following where X means that the password doesn't expire
    smbldap-usermod -H[NX] username

However this doesn't work.. :confused:

Now I noticed that if I use webmin to Edit a Samba User I'm able to click the New Password Bullet, leave the field blank. And then check the No Password Required box. When I push save I can login as the user without a password and without the Password Expiry notice.

I would like to be able to do this from the command line because I would like to automate all the user creation. I assume it must be possible because I would assume webmin is just executing shell command in the background.

Can anyone help me with this?

Attached Files: