Scripts

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by SamTzu, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Hi, there.

Can someone enlighten me how you do maintenance on your server?
    I would be interested in any scripts you use.
    For instance, how to copy/sync folders automatically etc.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

For what tasks exactly? Backups?

3. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Anything. I rarely see ANY scripts and since I'm so poor (read=lazy) at making them my self I'd like to see some that you members find useful.

Backup is good (although I suspect most people use other software like BackupPC or Amanda to do it.)

I'm currently looking a way to ease my life with multiple Joomla updates.
    Every time an update comes by I have to extract the zip file and do a copy to all folders under /var/www/domain1.com/web/ folder and then domain2 etc.

Booooring....

Also a script to backup databases to each domain's tmp folder would be a really great.

Anything really. Open stuff is so great because you can just take what you want and modify it to suit your needs.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

5. BorderAmigos

BorderAmigos New Member

I use a couple real simple scripts for backup. They are on cron jobs. The one to copy the websites and database runs every night. They system backup runs once a week. Right now I move the older backups to a different folder then delete them manually but will change it to automatically delete older ones (to not fill up the disk). Note that the location of the backups is a different physical disk than the data being backed up.

backup_sites_database.sh
    backup_system.sh

Note: Reading Falkos tutorial is a better way of course to back up the mysql databases. I have so little traffic that I'm not very concerned with the data changing while it's being backed up. I may implement the slave mysql server if I have that concern.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009