secondary dns gives error when zone transfer

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mendoza, Jul 21, 2007.

1. mendoza

mendoza New Member

when i try to do zone transfer dns syslog gives those errorrs:

Jul 21 00:50:19 debian2 named[2192]: client 207.xx.xxx.xx#60373: received notify for zone 'rachot.info'
    Jul 21 00:50:19 debian2 named[2192]: zone rachot.info/IN: Transfer started.
    Jul 21 00:50:19 debian2 named[2192]: transfer of 'rachot.info/IN' from 207.xx.xxx.xx#53: connected using 192.168.1.10#4884
    Jul 21 00:50:19 debian2 named[2192]: dumping master file: etc/bind/tmp-wKEjhAqq0J: open: file not found
    Jul 21 00:50:19 debian2 named[2192]: transfer of 'rachot.info/IN' from 207.xx.xxx.xx#53: failed while receiving responses: file not found
    Jul 21 00:50:19 debian2 named[2192]: transfer of 'rachot.info/IN' from 207.xx.xxx.xx#53: end of transfer
    Jul 21 00:50:20 debian2 named[2192]: client 207.xx.xxx.xx#60373: received notify for zone 'xxx.xx.xxx.in-addr.arpa': not authoritative

I think i setup the primary dns right, there may be problem with Reverse Zone file but i don't know what to do.

domain is rachxx.xx, primary server is debiax.rachoxx.xx secondary is debian2.xx.xx, i set up name servers at godady.

one thing you don't recommend (and what i have) is to run same nameserver and hostname on one machine but i think this problem is not related to this. or is it?

thank you!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  2. mendoza

mendoza New Member

update

Hi,

so i did some reading and i think what i have to do is to put my two dns servers to godaddy interface as custom nameservers for my domain.

i'll try that and i'll let you know.

my misunderstanding was due to howto i read (How To Run Your Own Name Servers With ISPConfig And GoDaddy) where you've set up secondary and did some testing before you changed the nameservers at godaddy interface.

am i right or is there something else wrong?

i'm new to this so i need some time to get all aspects of dns.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, that's right.

4. mendoza

mendoza New Member

fixed

file not found error was fixed when i changed in slave named.conf from:
    type slave;
    file "/etc/bind/sec.rachot.info";

to

file "sec.rachot.info";

and sec.rachot.info is now in: