Secondary DNS server without multiserver setup

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by SupuS, Dec 13, 2013.

1. SupuS

SupuS Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,

I need setup secondary DNS server and I cannot use multiserver setup if I understand correcty. Here is my setup:

Multiserver enviroment: 1 web server with ISPConfig, 1 primary DNS server, 1 secondary DNS server, 1 primary mail server, 1 secondary mail server

Other servers: few servers which are not part of multiserver environment above .. there are all services including primary DNS server

Is there a way how to use secondary DNS server from multiserver environment for Other servers with automated synchronization of DNS zones?

Thank for any suggestion.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If ythe other servers are not part of the multiserver setup, then you cant use ispconfg to replicate the data automatically. In this case, you will have to enable dns on one of the other servers and use the "traditional" secondary dns functions from bind by creating a slave zone on the new secondary dns that syncs with bind by the normal zone transfer mcehanism. The drawback is that you will have to create the lave zone for each primary zone manually, the further syncing is then done automatically.