secondary dns

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fisherofer, Oct 9, 2009.

1. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

i wold like to add secondary dns outside from my network
    as ns2

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are two options at the moment:

1) Install just mydns on the secondary server and configure it to use the mysql database of the primary server as source for the dns data. Drawback: The secondary will fail if the master fails.

2) setup a mysql database and mydns on the secondary server. Then use mysql database replication to replicate the data from the primary mysal db to the secondary mysql db. This circumvents the drawback from 1).

3. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

sorry i didnt write it
    i want my server to use outside server as ns2
    my isp dns as my ns2

4. till

Then add the IP of the secondary dns in the field of the dns form to allow zone transfers.

5. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

i searched in ispconfig how to do it
    can you help me please

6. till

Enter the IP address in the filed "Allow zone transfers to these IPs (comma separated list)" of the DNS zone settings.

7. wxman

wxman New Member

I seem to be having the same problem. At least I think it's the same problem.
    I'm using freedns as a secondary dns for my server. Their backup dns address is ns2.afraid.org and the IP is 66.252.5.14. I've gone through the postings here about this, and fixed the /etc/mydns.conf so that mydns -v reads:

Code:
    mydns[29753]: AXFR is enabled
    mydns[29753]: TCP ports are enabled
    mydns[29753]: DNS UPDATE is enabled
    mydns[29753]: DNS NOTIFY is enabled
    mydns[29753]: DNS IXFR is not enabled
    mydns[29753]: optional 'xfer' column found in 'dns_soa' table
    mydns[29753]: ipv4_listerner: bind on socket 6 (TCP) failed: 127.0.0.1+53: Address already in use

I still can't get freedns to get any updates. I've added their IP address to the Allow zone transfers to these IP field.

I also noticed when I run a dns check through one of the checking sites like http://www.intodns.com, it says that there are no MX records. I have an MX record for all of my sites.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  8. fisherofer

fisherofer Member

i disabled the dns from the day i install ispconfig 3