Secondary mail and dns server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by lucani, Sep 21, 2010.

1. lucani

lucani Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,

I've just installed fresh Debian for my secondary mail + dns server and I'm not sure which of 3 installation option of ISPConfig choose.

1. a) Expert mode > slave of my ISPConfig3 master
    b) Mark / Select DNS and Mail server
    c) Manually change postfix mode to only relay
    (Does it replicate dbispconfig.dns% and dbispconfig.mail% database tables? Will it work if I manually change postfix configuration to work only as relay [secondary server] ?)

2. a) Expert mode > slave of my ISPConfig3 master
    b) Mark only as DNS server (it should replicate dns zones and records, yes?)
    c) Manually change postfix mode only to relay
    d) Manually do replication of dbispconfig.dns% and dbispconfig.mail% database tables from master
    (In this case ISPConfig doesn't know anything about postfix, so mail relay should work, I guess)

3. a) Standard mode (as another server not in cluster)
    b) Manually change postfix mode only to relay
    c) Manually do replication of dbispconfig.dns% and dbispconfig.mail% database tables from master
    ( In this case, Do I have to install all services [e.g. also FTP] first to run Standard installation of ISPConfig? And as in second option: mark only as DNS or mail server too?)

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I think this is right. ISPConfig does the DB replication automatically.

3. lucani

lucani Member HowtoForge Supporter

I found this in bugtracker:
    http://bugtracker.ispconfig.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=1137&project=3
    (link from http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46236)

What does it mean? I though that services checkboxes and field "Is mirror of Server" are connected. My master server has all services, my secondary server (only to secondary dns and secondary mail [postfix relay, not courier]) has only DNS and mail. So it means that I can't add my second server to multiserver config with option "Is mirror of Server: Master and checkboxes only DNS-Server and Mailserver?
    ---------

edit:

Ok, I see it doesn't make sence if I want build server which is only secondary server, not any backup server. If I use built-in mirroring, settings (e.g. from postfix) will be replicated on secondary and will destroy relay function. Moreover there are problems which I wrote about above. Furthermore I want install ISPConfig in standard mode to get access to Control panel (read only to save mysql replication) but it's impossible if I didn't install all services. The only one solution for my problem is to install MyDNS Config, manually do mysql replication of dbispconfig.dns% and dbispconfig.mail% database tables from master. In fact it seems that it's machine without any connection with ISPConfig3 solution (maybe except master server which is source of database records). : /

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010