Selective SMTP relaying to mail servers hosted on outlook dotcom

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Prima, Dec 13, 2023.

1. Prima

Prima New Member

Greeting,

I have a Debian mail server with Postfix + Dovecot + ISPConfig Version: 3.2.11p1 installed, and I use also that mail server as SMTP gateway in my E-mail client.
    It works fine but I sometimes have deliverability problems to some destinations. I believe it boils down to IP reputation.

In order to improve deliverability rates I would like to use a commercial SMTP to relay outgoing mail that is sent to domain names that are using outlook.com for E-mail.
    For example, somedomain.com may have an MX record (subdomain) like this: somedomain-com.mail.protection.outlook.com. Therefore,
    1. an MX lookup has to take place
    2. and I need some kind of wildcard match for the rule to kick in
    Q: Is this possible from ISPconfig?

I have been able to do selective relaying to one specific domain name (by going in Email → Advanced Email Routing) as shown in the screenshot below.
    In this example, all outgoing E-mail to somedomain.com is routed to Amazon SES.
    Screenshot 2023-12-13 at 18-19-33 ISPConfig.png
    NB: I also added SMTP credentials in /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd based on this post: Routing all email to a given domain through a relay.

This setup works for one specific domain name. But I want to do something more dynamic, based on the MX lookup. If the MX record matches the pattern *.mail.protection.outlook.com, then selective routing should take place.

Is this possible to do that in ISPconfig and is this even the right place to do that?
    I prefer to do selective relaying and not send all outgoing E-mail to a single relay.