send mail from codomain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Ovidiu, May 19, 2006.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I am successfully using the codomain feature, but is there a way when creating a new suer and his emailaddress to chosse between the main domain and the codomains (for sending mail) ?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This is not possible for single users. You can do it for all users by setting the FQDN to "External Mailserver" in ISPConfig.

But your users can specify whatever sender address they like, even fake ones. It's a weakness in the SMTP protocol.

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

well but then I would need another mailserver somewhere? would it be much programming to let me chosse from a list of all domains/codomains when creating users?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The domain you use to send emails is set in your email client, not your mailserver or ISPConfig.

The Possibility to select which of the co-domains shall receive the email will be part of the next dev release.

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

what I meant was when creating a new user, I can also set his email address, but only the part before the @ so what if I would be able to choose between mydomain.com and mycodomain.com when creating this user? wouldn't that be what I want? OR am I overlooking something important here?

or is this what you meant will be part of the next dev release?

6. till

This is added in the next release. There are checkboxes where you can specify for which of the co-domains the email address shall be created.

7. reinier

reinier New Member

How about it?

In which version will this feature be exactly?

8. till

The code is in the svn of the dev branch already. There is no decision yet in which release number it will be integrated, that depends on some other functions that are not ready to be released yet.

9. TomC

TomC New Member

Fake Sender Address

Hi Folks,

let me re-activate this thread because of a statement in Till's first post:

True. It's a weakness in the protocol. Yet, I am sure there is a way to configure postfix so that it checks if the sender address matches i.e. with an entry in the virtual user map, PLUS checking if the address matches with the SASL login of the sending user.

However, so far I didn't manage to tweak my postfix to do what I want.

Are there any experts out there who are able to post a main.cf excerpt?

Thanks loads and regards,
    Tom