Sending e-mails to non-local recipient

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by alhamed, Aug 22, 2007.

1. alhamed

alhamed New Member

I need your kind support on the following:

I need to be able to send an e-mail to a recipient that is not listed in the local alias database. Knowing that my local non-registered domain is the same as the recipient's public registered domain.

I am running Postfix on Centos 4.3 and my recipient is running Qmail on RHE3.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You could Postfix transports for it. See
    Code:
    man 5 transport

3. alhamed

alhamed New Member

Thanks for your reply

I read the man page for configuring the transport but still not able to understand what to do.

I am not sure if I clearly stated my problem, but please allow me to add more details.

My local server belongs to a non-public domain: domain1.com

My remote server belongs to a public registered domain: domain1.com

Both has the same domain name!

My objective is to exclude some of the users accounts but not all from the public domain and create matching user accounts in the local domain.

So I created user1 and user2 in my local postfix server, but user3 is defined only in my remote server. I used outlook express for testing.

The results as follow:
    Sending & receiving from [email protected] to [email protected] works fine. But when I try to send from user1 or user2 to [email protected], it states that user3 not found in the local recipient table.

How can I make postfix understand that user3's e-mails need to be forwarded outside my LAN's domain to the public domain which has the same domain name?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Try this in /etc/postfix/transport:

Code:
    [email protected] smtp:[I]external_mailserver[/I]
    Run
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/transport
    afterwards and restart Postfix.