Seperate Mail Server

Discussion in 'General' started by mphayesuk, Sep 5, 2006.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok, if I have two servers on two different public ip addresses/connections i.e. two internet connections. Connected together by I private Lan.

Is it easy to set the second server to handle all the mail.

1) Can you have one install if ISPConfig on server one and just the mail software on server 2

2) How would you get the second server to do all the mail.

3) could this work without involving server one connection.

This is so that I can split out mail and web server which would make both services run faster.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is not supported in ISPConfig yet. You may try to sync the config files with e.g. rsync, but this is not trivial.

Set mailserver to external in the website and co-domain settings.

Please explain this.

3. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Well if I change the ISPConfig mail server to external the email will still hit the first server and then get diverted, so the first connection is still getting the mail trafic... I think what would need to happen is a sync of the config files from server one to server two.... maybe even have ISPConfig installed on both and basically copy over the whole setup... pretty much like having a backup server.....

I am not sure about this I will have to give it some more thought...

I am assumeing that the ideal solution will be available in ISPConfig v 3.... so it might be worth waiting for that to come out.

Thanks

4. boss_hog

boss_hog New Member

Hi mphayesuk,
    is this something that can be handled by DNS?
    Point the mail for domain.com to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    While the CNAME domain.com yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
    good luck
    Boss Hog

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you meaned that he shall create a MX record, not a cnmame record :)

MX records are directing the email to the correct server for a domain, MX stands for [M]ail e[X]changer.