Server at Raspberry Pi, can Receive emails, but not able to send Email

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by mr eko, Sep 16, 2016.

1. mr eko

mr eko New Member

Hi Guys,
    i start lerning to play with linux since o got a raspberry pi. ich have much fun but now my project could not be finished. i look for a tutorial, find it, and installed step by step my mail server etc. ... all together apache2 web server mysql data base post fix and doveot and many php-sql.packages ... sometimes i do not know why i have done ^^ ... but at the end my mail server is running, i can create mail adresses, alias and all adresses receice email from other servers .... but i can not send anything from my server to other external mail server like google, gmx, freenet or what ever

my setup,
    - i live in germay
    - dynamic ip, telekom speedport hybrid router, ports open to my raspberrypi that are needed for mailserver
    - raspberrypi with raspian, static ip
    - dyn fns service by no-ip.com, domain mydoamain.ddns.net, a record and mx record are the same

i want to send a mail from mail raspberrymailserver to my posteo.de account (german mail service)
    xxx[AT]mydomain.ddns.net to xxx[AT]posteo.de

here the /var/log/mail.info
    Sep 16 21:31:12 raspberrypi postfix/error[1865]: 181162AC6C: to=<xxx[AT]posteo.de>, relay=none, delay=0.31, delays=0.15/0.08/0/0.09, dsn=4.4.1, status=deferred (delivery temporarily suspended: connect to mx04.posteo.de[185.67.36.64]:25: Connection timed out)

i read many post in forums, but all of them did not have the same problem ... they got equal but not the same, mostly all guys rent a server but i want to have my server at home :)

iam happy for any helpful comments, thank you very much

2. JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser New Member

Hello.
    Is there any chance your ISP is blocking port 25?
    From the raspberry pi run the following. telnet mx04.posteo.de 25
    Does it connect?

Thanks.

3. mr eko

mr eko New Member

Hi other new member, thanks for your 1st comment. i set port forwarding at my router to my raspberry for the following ports: TCP 25, 110, 143, 465, 587, 993, 995; UDP none
    telnet result is:
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo telnet mx04.posteo.de 25
    Trying 185.67.36.64...
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out

PS what does ISP means?

4. JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser New Member

hello.
    Port forwarding does not apply here since the connection is going out from your raspberry pi, not coming in. You will want port forwarding so you can connect from the outside into the pi but going from the pi out it usually will not make a difference.
    The telnet result enforces what i was saying about the ISP, Which stands for internet service provider". It looks to me as though you can't connect across port 25 because the ISP is blocking it. This is a fairly common practice for some providers since most home users will not run there own home mail server. As a test to prove my theory try.
    telnet google.com 80
    This should connect.
    If it does talk to the internet provider.

Hope this helps.

5. mr eko

mr eko New Member

OK, that is new for me. thank you
    telnet result is:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ telnet google.com 80
    Trying 2a00:1450:4001:812::200e...
    Connected to google.com.
    Escape character is '^]'.

so i will conntact my internet provider, but i think they will do nothing :/ ... i will post theire answer

6. mr eko

mr eko New Member

your are right, telekom is blocking port 25 for all private customers :-/// is there any option to set anotherport for the outgoing mails?

7. CreeWarrior

CreeWarrior Member

You talk to your isp and get them to stop blocking port 25, i had to fill an online form to get that done. free of charge as well.